Intel Core i7 - 4790k

USColo

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
Is the Intel Core i7 - 4790k enough of a processor to have for a gaming computer to run modern games on ultra?

Solution

For gaming only or mostly gaming, you're better off getting the i5 4690k and save the extra $100 if you are not planning to do little to some editing or streaming.

-Lone-

Admirable

For gaming only or mostly gaming, you're better off getting the i5 4690k and save the extra $100 if you are not planning to do little to some editing or streaming.

Solution
I agree the i5-4690K runs almost all games roughly identical to the i7-4790K.

The i7 has up to roughly 30% more processing power at the same frequency though I've found converting videos using Handbrake is about 15% faster than the i5 as it's hard to fully use all threads at all times even with a well threaded application.

It also depends on your TOTAL BUDGET as the extra $100 might be more useful elsewhere but for some people this small difference is worth it.

Other:
I usually recommend the Noctua NH-U12S as the recommended cooler. And use motherboard fan control software. I also generally recommend using the motherboards "quick" overclock though in the case of the i7-4790K it defaults to 4.4GHz so I likely wouldn't bother updating.

The "quick" overclock tuner I used on my Asus pushed my i7-3770K to 4.2GHz (from 3.9GHz) Turbo. You should also use "XMP" for your memory though the overclock may affect the memory timings so keep note.

Finally, use the following tools:

1) Memtest www.memtest.org (prior to installing Windows is advised to prevent data corruption)
2) Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool
3) Prime 95 and Core Temp (together)

Tjmax is I believe about 105degC but a Noctua should keep that in the 60's (depending on many factors) running Prime95 and with a good Noctua or similar cooler. Idle might be below 30degC, and gaming probably in the 40's.

Other:
update the motherboard BIOS but note your settings will be reset

-Lone-

Admirable
Yeah, the i5 4690k is just perfect for gaming purposes only. You should put the extra $100 to some maybe like a good quality CPU cooler, up to 16GB of RAM so you won't even have to upgrade them ever again, or even upgrade the GPU instead.

USColo

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
The things I currently have are:
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 Mark 1
CPU: Intel Core i7 - 4790k
CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H 105
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3 1866 MHZ
Video Card: I'm still trying to choose one or multiple. (Not sure if two or one or which are the best price not too important)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z
System Drive: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5 SSD
Storage Drive: Seagate Desktop 3TB HDD
Case: cantvremeber I believe it's Storm Trooper.
Power Supply: Havent choosen one want it to be strong enough to be able to uprage things if needed
I'm looking to future prove my computer so are the things I've choosen goog? And what do u recommend for the things I havnt.

-Lone-

Admirable
Yes, with those parts, you'll be able to game at 1440p ultra for like the next 5 years. You can switch to the Evga 850w G2 if you want if you are planning to switch to AMD GPUs for whatever reason and give you some extra watts to OC them or if you want to do heavy OC your CPU later, it's only $10 more I think if you feel like you want to guarantee yourself enough power for a long time.

-Lone-

Admirable
Yeah, about the same, actually the Gigabyte G1 is 0.01 GHz faster. So Gigabyte still wins. If you get the 850w, you probably could OC your 970s enough til they're as good as the 980s since they're only about 10-15% better than the 970s.

zenx

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Just saying :D but you seem to be a bit like in the movies with the 'money is no object!' phrase in mind :) So why not just get a 980? or maybe two? :D It won't provide any better fps in current games than 2x 970 but who knows what the future holds? :D Also be sure to pick up a nice G-Sync monitor so all that fps won't turn around and annoy you with some terrible screen-tearing :)