Intel Core i7-7740X Kaby Lake-X Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SockPuppet

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Intel management is completely and utterly inept. They have no idea what they're doing. It's as if they're trying to run the company into an iceberg on purpose, but the strength of the Xeon-plated hull won't allow the ship to sink.

As much as I like the analogy, I don't think that's quite right. It's more like they're perfectly competent, but can't handle pressure at all. It's a sad thing to see, really. They have a ton of engineering talent, an excellent management team, and a solid R&D department. As soon as the pressure is on, though, every department basically loses touch with the other departments, and the teams responsible for consumer response/satisfaction suddenly go MIA.

I just hope that they don't pull the stunts they attempted in the P4 era. Unfortunately, the current situation is beginning to mirror what happened then in a number of ways. Specifically, the new products they're releasing have glaring flaws that should be quite concerning to consumers, but there's a vacuum of investigative reporting on the more serious issues with the sole exception of Tom's. In the P4 era, it was due to seriously underhanded marketing tactics on Intel's side. It was bad enough that they landed in court for paying off manufacturers to not offer AMD systems. They also rigged the benchmark software used at the time to give themselves a synthetic advantage.

This all seemed to change once they introduced some competitive products, though. Once they had something worth buying, they had no reason to spread false information anymore.

At the end of the day, Intel's management knows what they're doing, even if they have a history of being ethically bankrupt.

Note that all this occurred some time ago, and I might not remember it all correctly. I know Tom's Hardware was in a similar position back then as they are now as one of the few trustworthy review sites, so I would expect them to remember it in more detail.

papality

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Please for the love of whatever deity you believe in stop the autoplay Acer Predator review videos, constantly having to stop them is very annoying

Adroid

Distinguished
Intel should stop being lame and bring back fluxless solder, at least on their 300$ + chips. I mean, what's it gonna cost.. Another 5-10$ on the 350$-1000$ chips? I'm sure their profit margins are high enough...

I'm still unmotivated to upgrade from the i5 3570k. Do something exciting next time, sheesh...

hannibal

Distinguished
If you go for x299 it is much wiser to go for those 6, 8 or ten core versions.
If 4 core version would have four channel memory controller and much more pci lines then it could be usefull as an extreme gaming cpu, untill 6 and 8 core version will make those obsolete. But now... noup, no Sense at all to have 7740x.

While I generally agree with your statement on de-lidding, it's looking like the new cache structure in Skylake-X is poorly suited to a lot of CPU demanding games on the market right now. Here on Toms we saw the 7900K falling behind Broadwell-E in several titles. Even more worrying, Hardware Unboxed recently released a pretty interesting 30 game round up pitting a 7700K against a 6 core 7800X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKX9Bcxnd7U
TL DR: the 7800X loses badly. Overall it's not too severe, but there are quite a number of titles which deal massive (30-45%) performance losses to the six core. Even in titles like Ashes which have been shown in the past to make good use of 6 core processors, the 7800X can only match the 7700K. It seems like at best, the additional cores can only really make up for the deficit (in gaming) from the cache hierarchy/mesh topology, or whatever it is that's impacting Skylake-X in games.

Maybe we see game patches and BIOS updates which start to address some of these issues, much like we have with Ryzen, but that remains to be seen. Right now though, it seems like a really bad idea to buy any Skylake-X CPU for a gaming rig.

I'm not saying that this makes KabyLake-X a worthwhile option (de-lidded or otherwise), I'm just saying that right now, spending more money to get a 6 or 8 core CPU for gaming is a dubious proposition.

evil_72

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
So in order for it to top the Ryzen 1800X, it has to be clocked to 5.1ghz. This is reminding me of the Pentium 4 days and AMD's Thunderbird.

iban__

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017
Which would be a good premiere pro performance comparison chart test?
As you make an adobe Creative Suite chart you should introduce a popular aplication such as Premiere Pro in there in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.