[SOLVED] Intel core i7-8700k c-state and ghz in games

Oct 5, 2021
Hello everybody, can somebody help me with c-state and CPU ghz.

My pc is:
Intel core i7-8700k ( not overcloked, only turbo boost)
Corsair h115 I pro
MSI z390 mpg gaming pro carbon
MSI geforce rtx 2080 super gaming trio
Kingston hyperx predator ( xmp to 3200 MHz)
Samsung 860 Evo
Corsair RMx 850 w gold plus 80

I was having some FPS drops here and there and after checking HWinfo this drops happening after some cores on CPU dropping to 806 MHz and instantly getting back up, after some googling I thought it was some sort of power saving, so I disable c-state(it was on auto), but everything else (turbo speed, speed test and other stuff on default)
After that while gaming I have 4.3 ghz at 1.26-7 v. without any drops, my temps are good and nothing has micro lag in game like before and idle ghz fluctuating like before.

My question is, can I keep c-state disable while everything is default and not worry about anything?

and second question, what if I want to boost all cores at 4.7 ghz, do I need to disable speed test and other stuff, or some of them will help with CPU not keeping 4.7 ghz at idle?

Really curious

Solution
instead of disabling c-steps in bios, why not just change power modes in windows as you see fit. I mean that's what they're there for.
set high performance before gaming, set balanced after gaming.

bobalazs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
When you disabled C-state in bios, windows will not have power saving options that involve changes in c-states. You can disable it surely, it shouldn't cause any issues.

, do I need to disable speed test
What's speed test?

Oct 5, 2021
When you disabled C-state in bios, windows will not have power saving options that involve changes in c-states. You can disable it surely, it shouldn't cause any issues.

, do I need to disable speed test
What's speed test?

Thank you, I mainly play Path of Exile and in this game like any other games sometimes drops CPU cores to 806 MHz and my frame time graph jumping all over the place, but after disabling c-state it is smooth, so I was worry if I need to disable something else or if disabling it I can cause something

I misspelled, my bad, I was talking about Intel Speed Step, many people on forums saying different things about all this bios features when overcloking
So my question was, if disabling c-state can keep 4.3 ghz at 1.26-7 v. and keep idle ghz fluctuate depending on load and not keeping CPU always 4.3, and I was not messing around with voltages can I just put 4.7 and it will keep at this voltages or do I need to do it all manually and disable something else for for stability

bobalazs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
instead of disabling c-steps in bios, why not just change power modes in windows as you see fit. I mean that's what they're there for.

Reactions: Rebuss123
Solution
Oct 5, 2021

Ok, I will try to do it manually, in some games high performance mode enables automatically but I forgot to check if MHz dropping in that case.

When something like this affects performance and kinda annoying I always thinking the worst, maybe this will help too

Thank you:)