Intel Core i7 8700K or i7 8700

Oct 11, 2018
Guys, I'm planning on building a new gaming pc rig, and I came upon the option to whether choose an i7-8700k or i7-8700,
But considering the fact that I'm NOT planning on overclocking my CPU in any way, will it make any difference?
non-overclocked i7-8700K vs i7-8700?

Solution
Yes it will make a difference. The 8700K is much faster than the 8700, specially since it can be overclocked and be even faster.

But the biggest difference here is the price. Because the 8700k is not only more expensive, but it also does not come with a CPU cooler whereas the 8700 comes with an included CPU cooler, which means it's an extra 40$ cheaper (as you'll need a good cooler to overclock the 8700k).

In theory yes the 8700k will make a difference in terms of performance. However, these are high-end i7 cards to begin with, you're already getting a very good performance regardless of which you pick. Whatever you pick, you can't go wrong here.
Yes it will make a difference. The 8700K is much faster than the 8700, specially since it can be overclocked and be even faster.

But the biggest difference here is the price. Because the 8700k is not only more expensive, but it also does not come with a CPU cooler whereas the 8700 comes with an included CPU cooler, which means it's an extra 40$ cheaper (as you'll need a good cooler to overclock the 8700k).

In theory yes the 8700k will make a difference in terms of performance. However, these are high-end i7 cards to begin with, you're already getting a very good performance regardless of which you pick. Whatever you pick, you can't go wrong here.

Solution

Actually, on default preset yes, the difference is only .5 Ghz. But when the 8700k is OC-ed, it'll go up to 4.2 like you said and that's a 1Ghz difference.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-8700/3937vs3940

But like you said, it won't make that much of a difference despite this increase in Core Clock since they're fundamentally the same model.

Difference is 0.1 Ghz (not 0.5Ghz).
8700 automatically goes to 4.6Ghz on single-threaded workloads, 8700k automatically goes to 4.7Ghz. No manual overclocking involved.

1Ghz difference? What are you talking about?
1Ghz over 4.7Ghz would mean 5.7Ghz. That is not realistic to achieve without liquid nitrogen.

I see. Good to know. So does this happen for all non-K units?