Intel Core i7 8700k or Ryzen 7 2700X?

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
I am upgrading a system that is about 4 intel generations old. But checking the new releases of the new AMD Processors, i've been doubting a lot. I use my system for heavy gaming (Witcher 3, Destiny 2, Battlefield 1/4, Fortnite and new comming games), as well as some light video editing and some heavy 3D rendering as I'm an architecture student. So I wanted to know, which CPU fits best my needs? I want a future proof system that might last for atleast 3-4 years. I am currently on a 970 but waiting for new nvidia gpus to release, so ill be pairing the to be chosen cpu with the --80 GPU of the new architecture. Also, for the i7 I want the Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5, hands down, love the RGB, just beautiful, but what's the equivalent for the X470 chipset? Please suggest me mobos with beautiful RGB and dark themed PCB, my budget for the MoBo goes up to 200-225 dollars. Thanks!.

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

True, the i7 will perform faster on games, while the Ryzen destroys the i7 on content creation, which is basically my work. The thing is that im afraid of getting the i7 because I feel that I will need that 2-core power for my work, but also I feel that I will miss those fps for gaming, which in some ocasions even go down by 40 fps.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

its worse than that

in gaming terms the i5 8400 is 7 - 9 fps faster

the i7 8700k is a whole higher tier specifically for gaming, especially at 5ghz
the ryzen is already struggling to reach ~60 - ~90 fps in a lot of games - even worse with pre-release stuff that is popular -

At 5ghz the i7 does not loose many benchmarks at work related tasks either, I strongly suggest you go look into benchmarks on specific software

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

Probably not, only if it goes lower than 60 fps, I doubt it will with a GTX 1080.
And which is the difference percentage for other tasks like video editing or 3D modelling? How is it measured? FPS? Time? Do you know by any chance?

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

The thing is that on some benchmarks, the i7 wins while in others the Ryzen wins, thats what causes me confusion and not knowing what processor to get for my new system. The i7 does win at gaming, some games with a 5%-20% change, which is quite a bit. But on software, on video editing, most programs require multicore work, since the ryzen has 2 more cores it performs better, while other 3D modelling software relies on single core speeds, making the i7 faster. Really depends on the software, but since I use all of those softwares, including single and multi core, in some scenarios, the ryzen is better while in others, the i7 is better.

mgallo848

Commendable

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-pc-gaming-cpus-processors/

Scroll down and you'll see a 10 game benchmark average. The i7 8700k is only 9% faster.It's very late. When I wake I will look for the charts that show software benches.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

"All the results are for CPUs running at stock speeds"

Which means those benches are skewed in amd's favor due to their poor headroom

a 5ghz 8700k is a whole other beast

The main issue is to run a 8700k at 5ghz requires $150 worth of cooling.
Whereas the 2700x comes with the fairly giant sized wraith prism which does the job fine.

8700k ? Great cpu, on price/performance / productivity though the 2700x is a clear winner.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

a cryorig r1 is less than $90

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

The thing with that Gigabyte is that compared to the intel one, the Z370, I feel quality is not near the same, the Z370 has much more features, including post code screen, much more LED's and the single fact that there's orange stickers on the X470 totally ruin my build colour, wetheras the Z370 has no colour other than the RGB.
I was actually thinking a lot on getting that asus, seems like the best mobo for the value, but since I got in love with the Gaming 5, that 1 led on the Asus lets me down a bit, also the Post code screen, wifi antenna, and few other features.

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

I have already the Corsair H80i V2, they gifted me the V2 so I can't really complain. Can I slightly overclock the i7 with it? I still need some help with the inside the case pressure and fan configurations to maximize airflow tho.

On a side note NovaTron, I have the Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 and boy have they gone full RGB madness!!! It has 4 RGB LED headers!!!! oh and it works so well, I have been sucked into RGB everthing!!!! It's dangerouse...you could lose yourself!

As to the Ryzen versus Intel question, All I can say is that you will get a great experience from both setups. I have the 8700K and can only sing its praises as it hit 5GHz without delidding and I have it running at 4.9GHz as my daily driver at 1.3v...Also with the latest Adobe update utilising the igpu the Adobe suits runs extremly well on the 8700K.

With regards to Ryzen, the 2700X again is a great, great CPU especially for the production side where it leverages a full 8 cores and 16 threads, okay on the gaming side it is a bit slower but to be honest its still more than capable. Bottom line, you can;t really go wrong with either CPU...

If your monitor is 60Hz you won't notice any difference between them in games.
In Editing and rendering the 8700k with a delid and 5+GHz overclock will do what the 2700x does out of the box and with lower thermals.
So unless you have a 144Hz (or more) display and you're ready to delid and overclock the i7, the 2700x is a pretty easy choice.

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

That mobo is simply beautiful, I was thinking on getting the Gaming 5, for Intel, and the Asus X470-F for the Ryzen, but to be honest, I prefer by thousands the Gaming 5, simply beautiful, paired with some Corsair RGB Ram, and a FTW Evga 1080.

The thing is that I game a lot, so technically I should get the i7, but also, some of my studies rely on 3D modelling, such as Maya, CAD, and architecture software, which technically should mean the Ryzen, the thing is that I might not overclock, kind of afraid to do so on the i7, and on the ryzen, it might be difficult to get all cores stabilized.
As you said, both processors are beasts and I can't go wrong, either I choose will be great for my wants and needs, but I still want the bestest performance, although I still don't know if I want it on gaming or content creation.

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

I currently do have a quite bad actually 1080p 60Hz monitor, but since im getting a i7 8700k/Ryzen 7 2700X paired with 16Gb of Ram and probably a 1080 (Im waiting for the new 1180 to be released), I might get a 1440p 120hz or so monitor.
Is it worth it to OC? To be honest, im kind of a fan of Intel simply by the fact that I've had more or less 3 systems with intel, never tried AMD. But will a Corsair H80i V2 overclock enough to beat/equalize the performance of the Ryzen?

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

That's the thing haha, I know both processors are great, and I won't regret at all having either of those. But Im very indecise on which one to get, although it won't really matter.

It'll depend on the quality of the chip you get. 5GHz can be achievable without a delid however you'll be dealing with very high temps at those clocks even with good cooling.
Like i said, the i7 will be a better option if you're willing to delid and overclock it beyond 5GHz.
If you want to keep it all stock then the Ryzen will be better option.

I've had/have 4 Intel based and 4 AMD based systems both laptops and desktops and i'm personally more of a fan of AMD due to Intels shady business practices and less user friendly products (toothpaste TIM, new chipsets incompatible with older cpus, trash stock coolers).

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

Im getting either a X470 or a Z370, if that's what you mean. I am kind of scared to overclock, so I prefer not to. But I am worried that If I pick the Ryzen, that gaming performance lost will actually make me regret, Im very picky with the FPS I get, but Im also worried that If i get the Ryzen, all content creation tasks will be way slower or less productive than with the Ryzen, that's the problem. It does worry me about Intel not being as costumer friendly as AMD, The chipset compatibility doesnt really bother me, neither the included cpu cooler, Btw, how much will the X470 and the X370 last?

I'm taking about the CPU silicon quality which is basically a lottery (you might get good or you might get bad).
Good quality chips will overclock higher with less voltage and heat than low quality chips.
But yea, i think the i7 is only better if you overclock it and to overclock it to it's full potential you need to delid it.

If by last you mean the socket?.. The AM4 socket will be AMDs standard until 2020 and will likely still get 2 more generations of cpus that will be supported on x370 and x470 before AM5 comes.

If i were you i'd go with the Ryzen but that may just be due to my slight AMD bias and also the fact that i own the 1700 which has treated me really well.

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014

The quality depends on the binding right? Luck on fabrication. Does this also happen on the Ryzen? Also, I really like the Amd, performance wise looks promosing, with an Asus X470-F and 16Gbs I believe ill be good to go for years, since i've heard it's a future proof system. The thing that worries me is the gaming performance, I prefer the AMD over the intel for everything... except gaming. I feel those 7 fps drops will really make me regret, is there a way to make the Ryzen perform just as good as the i7 on gaming?