Question intel core "i7 930 " overheating, causing system crashes

Jul 3, 2020
this desktop is pretty old, and i think this issue has always haunted it, but since i replaced the hdd with a new ssd, i've found this to be the main remaining problem.

coretemp shows all four cores as constantly over ninety degrees, just idling on the desktop.

when i log into a brand new user account, the temperatures all drop to like their high fifties after a few minutes.

any ideas what could be causing my temperature to cap out? what should i look for. processes? services? i have one of those bad cpu heat syncs where you rotate the four pins to make it seat harder into the cpu, and it has a few wings clipped, so it maybe, more loosely, be an issue with the heat sink, but the fact remains that running on a clean user drops the temperature almost forty degrees.

cpu listed
cooler described (if by cooler, you mean heat sink)
core voltage at load: i have no idea how to check that
6 gb ram
motherboard: asustek p6t se
gfx: nvidia geforce 970x
ambient temp: 74

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Instead of mucking around with that 4 core i7 930, I'd get this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-XEON-W3680-3-33GHZ-Six-6-CORE-12M-CACHE-LGA1366-6-4-GT-s-SLBV2-PROCESSOR/142031344535?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

(I have no affiliation with the auction)

... then Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (or equivalent), apply new thermal paste, and crank it up to 4GHz +/-

Enjoy it for another 5 years.

P.S. It will benefit from having 12GB of RAM - but depends on how much you want to spend. The above will set you back for fewer than $90.

ilievxman99

Reputable
Apr 28, 2016
replace the thermal paste and reinstall windows, and yes getting something like a x5650 or higher cpu and overclocking it with a better cooler will save your system for at least 3-4 years.

Jul 3, 2020
why does it ninetynine out with idle usage though. theres no way my cpu should be doing that.

i'm running gmer, but it keeps bsod-ing my computer. has anyone tried messing with the scan options because of bsods? can you share your tweaking preferences?

TRENDING THREADS