Intel Core i7-9700K

Dec 30, 2018
Hi, so I just wanted to ask a brief question about the temperatures of my Intel Core i7-9700K. I just got it and I am having troubling finding out what exactly an alarming temperature for this processor would be. Sometimes when dealing with a big load, it will go up to from between 50°C to 80°C.

Solution
A d15 should be better than that

Cpu intensive games won't bring the temp that high easily since the cores won't be pegged at 100%.

Make sure your cooler fans are running and that Your other case fans are blowing in the correct direction. May have to try and redo thermal paste

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
80 is kind of the point where it'll start throttling if it goes above it sometimes. It won't "hurt" the cpu especially if not overclocked but could cause some choppiness in performance.

Those 9700k/9900k chips are hooooot. It takes a top of the line air cooler or a pretty solid aio.

Dec 30, 2018
That is when running some CPU intensive programs like games
Now when I say between 50 to 80, it is usually not 80, I just mean that is the highest I have seen a core temperature reach
It is usually in the the 50s or 60s. I am just asking because I don't really know when exactly its too high of a temperature and I risk damaging my CPU

A d15 should be better than that

Cpu intensive games won't bring the temp that high easily since the cores won't be pegged at 100%.

Make sure your cooler fans are running and that Your other case fans are blowing in the correct direction. May have to try and redo thermal paste

Solution
Dec 30, 2018
Well after reading some of the suggestions I just went over my setup in my case to discover that the Noctua cooler fans and the main case fans are pushing air in opposites directions as suggested. I feel like an idiot now. So I am going to fix that.

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
I would also check your bios and make sure that enhanced turbo boost or multicore enhancement are not enabled. If these are running they will override the default clock speeds in bios and peg the cpu to the max single core turbo across all cores. I'm running the D14 and I had one of these enabled for a couple of hours without fully realizing what it was doing and while gaming I also was pushing the 80c mark. (high core was 79c max recorded) Voltage was also topping out at max of 1.39. Bottom line, make sure they are disabled and avoid them like the plague.

Dec 30, 2018

Alright, I will make sure they are disabled. Thank you