Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saljen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
My friend just built a new gaming rig with the 980x as the processor... He plays Age of Conan. I busted up laughing when he said he spent $1k on a processor that he'll only use to 1/10th of its potential. Told him he should have gotten an i5, now I'll send him this article as further proof.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]binoyski[/nom]Darn, the contest should be open to all Tom's Hardware registered users even from a different country![/citation]

Really wish it could be binoyski. We have specific tax laws, unfortunately, that prevent it. Same reason the folks in RI can't enter :-/

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Wow AMD's CPU is just getting plain-ol decimated in this review.

Still, it does hold it's ground even though the architecture is like 4 years old, using the same technology that was around back when the C2Q's we're the high-end (the same as the original phenoms on a die shrink).

Because of this, I can almost guarantee AMD's success with their future CPU's, just like I predicted the 2600K would be faster in most cases than the 980X.

That doesn't mean I'm saying that Bulldozer will outperform the i7's or upcoming 8-core Intel CPU's I'm just saying that there's going to be some serious decisions for upgraders this year.

I mean look at Magny corus 12 core (2.2GHz) vs i7 980x, it's almost as fast and 1GHz slower (but 12 physical cores) and cost's the same.

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Wow AMD's CPU is just getting plain-ol decimated in this review.[/citation]
i wouldnt say decimated, and its cheaper also. That benchmark of metro 2033 is interesting, particularly the better lowfps the AMD chip managed. But i agree they have flogged this horse as far as it will go and they need bulldozer ASAP to be competitive.

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
[citation][nom]HansVonOhain[/nom]This is just a ripoff by intel on those who are not knowledgeable enough that more expensive does not always mean better.[/citation]

I thought that's what Intel is doing with all of their CPUs :)

curtis_87

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]binoyski[/nom]Darn, the contest should be open to all Tom's Hardware registered users even from a different country![/citation]

I agree, an think of the publicity Toms, spotty 17yr old kid in africa wins 2 x Combo Intel Core i7-990X and Intel DX58SO2 Motherboard: Value of $1261...

In this age of globalisation and almost non-existent boundaries on the net to your customers...I think you could afford to encompass anyone any where..

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I have a reason to stay with a LGA 1336 chip instead of upgrading.
My feature rich motherboard cost me $300. :)

I know it's the nature for electronics to evolve, but going from my 2.66GHz i7 quadcore to looking at a 3.46 sexacore at the same TDP, I find it impressive.

I'm waiting for LGA 2011 to upgrade again, thank you.

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
I purchased the I7 920 at launch, 2 years on in 2010 i was looking for a upgrade even though it wasnt really needed. So it was either waiting for sandy bridge getting a new motherboard and CPU or going for the I7 980x.

New mother board and CPU would end up costing me 700usd anyways, so i decided to go for the I7 980x. Oced it to 4.5ghz, i think i will stick with this setup until a game actually comes up and needs more, i dont see that happening for the next few years atleast or atleast until next consoles turn up.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
AMD gettin the business like always.

I check probably 10 times a day hoping that the egg gets 1155 back online. They activated the procs last week so they should be getting the mobos back in soon I hope!

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]Which one was that?[/citation]

[citation]Two months ago, when I finished testing Intel’s Core i5-2500K and Core i7-2600K, I came to the conclusion that you’d have to be battier than Charlie Sheen with a suitcase of blow to spend $1000 on a Core i7-980X Extreme Edition in the face of Sandy Bridge-based CPUs. I was so convinced, in fact, that I didn’t bother benchmarking the super-exclusive chip, and instead focused on drilling deep into Quick Sync and Intel’s HD Graphics engines.[/citation]

dww

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
So 6 cores are sometimes better than 4, and Intel might still be able to sell their stock of i7-9x0X's, especially where people already have LGA 1366 motherboards.

I do database work which DOES benefit from extra cores, but I think I'll wait until they bring out 6 or 8 core Sandy Bridge chips.

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]cangelini[/nom]Really wish it could be binoyski. We have specific tax laws, unfortunately, that prevent it. Same reason the folks in RI can't enter :-/[/citation]
What tax? U get all hardware for free, right? Anyway, I am more than willing to pay for all the tax + delivery expenses, you just send the combo, np. Or don't giveaway at all, cause this is just pure discrimination.

Good performance numbers for the 990x in certain situations. Though the 2600K was never far enough behind to make the 990x all that relevant. Especially, not to someone upgrading from an older Core2 or Athlon X2 system. Sure wouldn't mind getting one for free though....

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Nice article Chris. Indeed the benefits for the 980 and 990 are only viable for those who do frequent video editing, programming, 2d and 3d animation. Frequent is the key word here.

Thanks for confirming that waiting for the new SB Motherboards is worth it. I look forward to making my new building and then selling it to my brother at the end of the year when the new socket is rumored to come.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]curtis_87[/nom]I agree, an think of the publicity Toms, spotty 17yr old kid in africa wins 2 x Combo Intel Core i7-990X and Intel DX58SO2 Motherboard: Value of $1261...In this age of globalisation and almost non-existent boundaries on the net to your customers...I think you could afford to encompass anyone any where..[/citation]
And then gets murdered by local gang members and has the computer stolen from his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.