Intel Core i7's that support 128GB ram?

garyisbinary

Proper
Jul 12, 2018
I know the i7-6900k does, but im looking for something cheaper. The cpu is being used for minecraft hosting. I know Xeon's are better but i just really prefer using core series cause im stubborn haha. Thoughts?

Solution

How many mc servers are you going to be hosting at the same time? 128gb of ram is a lot and you'll need a good cpu to keep things running smoothly. The cheapest way to do this is get a user rackmounted server from ebay with a xeon E5 with a fair amount of cores and some cheap ecc ram (since few systems apart from the proffesional stuff can use ecc ram).

garyisbinary

Proper
Jul 12, 2018

the plan is a massive network that ill be working on for like 2-3 years. probably starting with 10 servers though. trying to avoid server grade parts. otherwise i wouldnt be here asking people haha. But i appreciate the recommendation anyway!

With what you are doing server grade hardware is simply much easier to work with and cheaper since a lot of company's refresh their lineup regularly causing a flood of powerfull machines that us consumers can use for cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UXS-Server-Variant-1U-Supermicro-X9DRI-LN4F-Rev-1-20-to-2x-E5-2690-V2-256GB-RAM/132570042432?hash=item1eddca5040%3Am%3Am9zUaGEpTu46YjTHWKpg7tA&var=431915993277

A bad example since that was the first thing that popped up on ebay. But you can have a seriously decked out system for the price of a 6900k.

Solution

garyisbinary

Proper
Jul 12, 2018

Yeah i guess ill check it out, the issue is i know server ram can get pricy, plus i really dont know much about server hardware.

Is actually the exact opposite. Nobody needs DDR3 ecc ram which causes it to be really cheap compared to regular ram. You don't need to know much about server hardware. You can use it as a regular pc and just ignore the extra features that can be handy when hosting multiple servers. I got a dell poweredge 2900 with 2x E5450's and 64gb of ram for 200€ in 2012 since a hospital was changing out their equipment. I bought another 64gb of ecc ram for 50€ and upgraded the E5450's to X5482's and added in 2 quadro fx 3700's. All in all that system cost me just shy of 400€ and was my go to rendering rig and workstation for 3 years whilst also running a vm on the side hosting some servers.

garyisbinary

Proper
Jul 12, 2018

Dang, you peaked my interest haha. Now i just need to learn more about Xeon's and server ram because i dont know whats good and whats bad.

The one thing I do dislike about servers is the long boottime. They do a lot of selfchecks before booting up and it took my dell even after adding an ssd Almost 2 min to boot. Once it was done with the bios stuff it only took 15 seconds to get into windows 7 :p.

garyisbinary

Proper
Jul 12, 2018

oof thats a long time, but hey, not like servers are turned off everytime you are done with them anyway XD