News Intel Core i9-10850K CPU Benchmarks: Cheaper, but Nearly Identical to 10900K

Co BIY

Splendid
I bet current demand for these two chips will be largely driven by MS Flight Simulator 2020. It would be good to see a benchmark in that.

Because it appears to be CPU limited even with extreme graphics solutions it might be the only "Gaming" use case for these extremely high end chips that makes sense.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
I bet current demand for these two chips will be largely driven by MS Flight Simulator 2020. It would be good to see a benchmark in that.

Because it appears to be CPU limited even with extreme graphics solutions it might be the only "Gaming" use case for these extremely high end chips that makes sense.
Well, for some reason Microsoft is running Flight Sim in DX11 so you're limited to 4 cores anyways. They did mention that DX12 will roll out at some point.

So for now at least, a 10600K or 3300X wouldn't be amiss.

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
So would you guys buy a 10900k or 10850k now or wait for Zen 3. I really don't like that fact that these processors don't have PCI 4.0
If I were to buy a gaming PC in the coming month, I would wait and see how Ampere scales with PCIE4 (shouldnt matter IMO) and then go with the 10700K/3080. Zen 3 also is a good option to wait and see how it improves gaming performance.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
So this is a way for Intel to reduce price to compete. Instead of telling people that we are cutting price to be more competitive, they roll out another SKU of essentially the same product and sell it cheaper.

Retailers aren't stupid. They're going to realise that this is more or less just another i9-10900K and they'll price it accordingly, regardless of the MSRP. Nothing has really changed because if you're dead-set on buying a "10th-gen" Intel CPU, you're still going to have to "bend over for the buggering". There's no way around that. LOL

Reactions: Soaptrail

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
If you can wait, then I would. Zen 2 will be cheaper too when zen 3 comes out, and you will have a better idea on the graphics front too.

I appreciate the feedback. I have a 6700k paired with 2080 Super right now so it's time to upgrade...but it gets the job done. I just don't feel right upgrading to a CPU and motherboard that doesn't support PCI 4.0 especially when M.2 SSDs are releasing with the functionality. I'm going to wait on Zen 3 or wait on Intel to catch up next year

Sep 1, 2020
@TomsHardware - I've read through your review in depth. You have a section on thermals / power but only show graphs for power usage of the 10850K chip. Do you have more specific graphs showing thermals compared to the rest of the lineup or more specifically the 10900K? If so, maybe you can update the review or that section to show those? Appreciate the work on this review; was very informative.

Co BIY

Splendid
So would you guys buy a 10900k or 10850k now or wait for Zen 3. I really don't like that fact that these processors don't have PCI 4.0

Really for any high-tech rapidly evolving technology that constantly gets better and cheaper it will almost always pays to wait, for the price to go down, or for the next better iteration. If you need to buy the capability now to accomplish things now then now is the time to buy. "Future proofing" is a waste (PCIE 4.0 may be "future proofing" as there is no real case for currently)

For buying ancient art for which their is a limited quantity available and no more being made this may not apply.

For consumer electronics a delayed purchase is almost always a better purchase.