News Intel Core i9-10900K Could Outperform i9-9900K By Up To 30 Percent

So, 20-22% more performance from 25% more cores, faster RAM clocks (lets hope). and, a whopping 100 MHz boost on the base clock and boost clock speeds??...

What did I miss?

Barring some trickery, many might be pretty underwhelmed with a 3-5 fps increase in gaming framerates at 1080P in CS:GO! :)

Last edited:
I'm really wandering what intel expects OEMs to do with these CPUs. An OEM isn't going to like to spend money on a beeeeeefy cooler to even think of uses one of these or even a non -k version.
You forgot about the 1500W PSU you will need to power it. I wonder if Intel will include their industrial chiller that they used for the 28c @ 5.0GHz demo with every 10900k....

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm really wandering what intel expects OEMs to do with these CPUs. An OEM isn't going to like to spend money on a beeeeeefy cooler to even think of uses one of these or even a non -k version.

One would think with all the money they've made sitting on their laurels for so many years and not actually making much in the way of advances in CPU technology, that they could easily afford providing exceptional coolers for their excessively power-hungry CPUs.

Makaveli

Splendid
"Looking purely at core count, you would expect the Core i9-10900K to notch a 25% increase in multi-threaded performance, but the 30% figure jumps over that by a significant margin. The slightly elevated clock speeds would account for that somewhat, but not by the entire 5%, so we reckon there is something more going on. "

Since when has 5% become a significant margin?

Is this something that is new in our now post Corona world?

Reactions: Frode789
"Looking purely at core count, you would expect the Core i9-10900K to notch a 25% increase in multi-threaded performance, but the 30% figure jumps over that by a significant margin. The slightly elevated clock speeds would account for that somewhat, but not by the entire 5%, so we reckon there is something more going on. "

Since when has 5% become a significant margin?

Is this something that is new in our now post Corona world?
It's above the statistical error margin that's all that that means.
You forgot about the 1500W PSU you will need to power it. I wonder if Intel will include their industrial chiller that they used for the 28c @ 5.0GHz demo with every 10900k....
9900ks @5Ghz worst case for an actual game 126W @1080p, 117W @1440 since everybody makes the argument that 1080p is passe and everybody only games at 1440...
View: https://youtu.be/2v-nbb3XWfM?t=401

Makaveli

Splendid
It's above the statistical error margin that's all that that means.

9900ks @5Ghz worst case for an actual game 126W @1080p, 117W @1440 since everybody makes the argument that 1080p is passe and everybody only games at 1440...
View: https://youtu.be/2v-nbb3XWfM?t=401

I guess we have different meanings of the word Significant, because even above the statistical error margin that doesn't fit the definintion of the word.

I guess we have different meanings of the word Significant, because even above the statistical error margin that doesn't fit the definintion of the word.
Whenever you see percentages special jargon applies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_significance#
"The result is statistically significant, by the standards of the study, when {\displaystyle p\leq \alpha }.[7][8][9][10][11][12][13] The significance level for a study is chosen before data collection, and is typically set to 5%[14] or much lower—depending on the field of study.[15]
The term significance does not imply importance here, and the term statistical significance is not the same as research, theoretical, or practical significance.[1][2][19][20] For example, the term clinical significance refers to the practical importance of a treatment effect.[21] "

passivecool

Honorable
Jul 18, 2017
After waiting like a decade for a good reason to dish out thousands for an upgrade for my i7 3770k ... (somehow yet another generation with 5% increase just didn't inspire me to open my wallet) ... i orderd a n R9 3900x yesterday.
I thnk Team Blue will need a more convincing track record moving forward to win me back. And i'm not talking of "the fastest cpu This Week", i mean the corporate culture of providing Customer Value first and not Shareholder Value.
We can discuss it in 5 years again.

Reactions: Frode789

NewJohnny

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
...i orderd a n R9 3900x yesterday.
I bought a 3900x this week for a home workstation. My first AMD cpu since the K6-166.

I've been buying xeons at work for years (nobody ever got fired for choosing Intel) but once it was my own money on the line, I started looking for deals. I didn't realize how far ahead AMD was on the price/performance curve. I've since discovered Supermicro has several AMD-based chassis so I'm going to have to reconsider my default choices.

Reactions: King_V

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
After waiting like a decade for a good reason to dish out thousands for an upgrade for my i7 3770k ... (somehow yet another generation with 5% increase just didn't inspire me to open my wallet) ... i orderd a n R9 3900x yesterday.
I thnk Team Blue will need a more convincing track record moving forward to win me back. And i'm not talking of "the fastest cpu This Week", i mean the corporate culture of providing Customer Value first and not Shareholder Value.
We can discuss it in 5 years again.
I'm sure Intel is devastated to lose the revenue from your one CPU purchase every 8 years.