News Intel Core i9-10900K Stress Tested: Comet Lake Flagship Hits 93°C

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I remember tomshardware did a cooking review on a cpu.
I think you just find the perfect cpu for cooking review.

Paul any chance for a cooking review of this cpu compared to the fx9590?
Nah, these will actually be pretty bad at cooking. The problem is that they're thermally dense still -- lots of heat in a small area. Skylake-X and Threadripper tend to do better for pancakes and such. :)

Reactions: st379

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
Nah, these will actually be pretty bad at cooking. The problem is that they're thermally dense still -- lots of heat in a small area. Skylake-X and Threadripper tend to do better for pancakes and such. :)
If I remember correctly the Threadripper stop working after this review lol.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
93 degrees at stock settings with a liquid cooler. No thanks. This CPU is just a mistake.
Not like you could afford one anyway. I preordered 3 i9900Ks and out of the 3 - 2 could hit 5Ghz all cores and stay well under 70C with a Noctua NH-D15 SSO - and the 3rd was throttling at 4.9GHz on the same coolers.

So the silicon lottery is very much real and sounds to me like the "reviewer" got a lemon.

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
Not like you could afford one anyway. I preordered 3 i9900Ks and out of the 3 - 2 could hit 5Ghz all cores and stay well under 70C with a Noctua NH-D15 SSO - and the 3rd was throttling at 4.9GHz on the same coolers.

So the silicon lottery is very much real and sounds to me like the "reviewer" got a lemon.
Can someone ban this retarded troll already? let him have his troll party at wccftech.

Every reviewer that used water cooling got over 80c all cores and 90c in avx workload and you on air cooling got under 70c?

He lies and gives false information in every post he makes that not funny anymore...
Let him have his troll party from sunset to sunrise in wccftech where they belongs.

Last edited:

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
Nobody uses AVX in real life though.
Some video editing software does.

I remember you. You are the Intel fanboy that wrote that 3950x losing for the 9900k in multi threaded applications and the 9900k power consumption is excellent.

Last edited:
Some video editing software does.

I remember you. You are the Intel fanboy that wrote that 3950x losing for the 9900k in multi threaded applications and the 9900k power consumption is excellent.
Get some review that shows temps while running that together with times,maybe you can convince somebody with facts.
I remember you too,you are the AMD fanboy that thinks that everybody has to get over 90° on his intel CPU no matter what he does.

st379

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
I remember you too,you are the AMD fanboy that thinks that everybody has to get over 90° on his intel CPU no matter what he does.
In gaming you will get below 80c. Where did i write that in gaming you will get above 80c? can you show me or you attack me because video editing and apparently games (according to a reply, below your stupid reply) using AVX.
You claim that no one use AVX and I corrected you like i corrected you when you wrote that retarded statment that say the 3950x is worst than 9900k in multi threaded application .
In blender you can get more than 80c and in video editing.
In youtube you are not going to get 80c, here is another example.

I did not say any thing about all workloads. Don't respond to a statement I did not make and learn how to read.

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Not sure why this article on a 10900K is relevant to any but a smidgen of gamers, except maybe those easily parted with their money. How many actually have a 10+ physical core system?

Looking at steam survey (link below) fully 94.9% of all gamers on steam have between 1 and 6 physical CPUs. 4.8% have 8 CPUs, and after that you are talking about really negligible (far less than 1%) numbers.

We've also got plenty of evidence that adding cores beyond 4 has little impact on games - at 4 cores IPC, RAM speed, and clock speed become king (see all of the 3300X reviews, and the i3-9350K reviews back in Dec).

I am a lot more interested to see the i5-10400F, 10500, 10600, and 10700 benchmarks on the Z490 chipset. Those all now support (much) higher speed DDR4, have hyper threading, higher clock speeds, and changes to turbo boost to pick the two best chips on the die for boosting.

jmc

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Did you ever had a Ryzen or seen Ryzen reviews?? Or you only had Intel and only look at Intel reviews?
My 1800X@4.0Ghz@1.4V doesn't break the 60C in Prime95 default settings and that is with a 28$ single fan air cooler, Freezer 33 single fan. Cinebench R20 Multicore tests maxes at 54C. 1800X review shows 112W at stock in Prime95:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951-11.html

Tomshardware's reviews are always accurate and never skewed the way you'r claiming.

I meant to say the Ryzen2 chips that are comparable to the intels 10th Gen performance wise.
anyway
as you probably have seen from various reviews 10900 isn't this hot unless if you unlock all its limits and go outside of intels guidance under AVX stresstest. at stock its very easy to cool even with a mediocre 20€ cooler. staying comfortably at 70C

Mar 5, 2021
Hello, I found this thread after noticing temps in my chip.

I'm an owner of I9 10900KF with a stock fan cooler

I don't know much about this topic, just found Intels FAQ mentions that working at max 100ºC should not be a concern. The chip will handle temp by lowering clock freq and, in the most extreme case, shutting down the unit to avoid damage (if I got this correctly).

I've been using it for the occasional game, just over one-hour a week session (AoE / CSGO) and photo/video editing (Olympus /Pinnacle Studio) for almost 5 months now

I notice the charts in the 97-101 range for hours.

Should I be concerned? Should I consider another refrigeration device/method?

I'm open to run some tests if you are interested in knowing any particular case.

Cheers

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Orcio76
You should open a thread in the Cooling section.
Make sure you list all your PC parts - I recommend you use PCpartpicker to list it.[remember to post the URL to your list and don't set it to private if you have an account there already.

Reactions: Orcio76
Hello, I found this thread after noticing temps in my chip.

I'm an owner of I9 10900KF with a stock fan cooler

I don't know much about this topic, just found Intels FAQ mentions that working at max 100ºC should not be a concern. The chip will handle temp by lowering clock freq and, in the most extreme case, shutting down the unit to avoid damage (if I got this correctly).

I've been using it for the occasional game, just over one-hour a week session (AoE / CSGO) and photo/video editing (Olympus /Pinnacle Studio) for almost 5 months now

I notice the charts in the 97-101 range for hours.

Should I be concerned? Should I consider another refrigeration device/method?

I'm open to run some tests if you are interested in knowing any particular case.

Cheers
https://www.amazon.com/quiet-Shadow-BK004-Cooler-Technology/dp/B084XYKDF4
be quiet! Shadow Rock 3 $49.90

https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/1743

Last edited: