News Intel Core i9-10900X Cascade Lake-X Benchmarks Emerge

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
So basically it looks like if you have anything modern such as a 9000 series or Ryzen chip its best to wait a few years till Intel pushes out 7nm and whatever AMD has at the time.
Probably shouldn't write off Intel's 10nm yet. But Cascade Lake is definitely not something worth waiting for although Intel's claim of 2x price/performance improvement does create minimal intrigue to see how they will be priced. If Intel hits 10nm next year and can hit 7nm the following year as they are currently predicting, there might finally be some notable mainstream cpu performance increases.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Probably shouldn't write off Intel's 10nm yet. But Cascade Lake is definitely not something worth waiting for although Intel's claim of 2x price/performance improvement does create minimal intrigue to see how they will be priced. If Intel hits 10nm next year and can hit 7nm the following year as they are currently predicting, there might finally be some notable mainstream cpu performance increases.
At this point I don't think we're even expecting to see any 10nm desktop parts.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I think the key here is "double perf per dollar", which means you can get a 10-core i9 for half the price. If you already have one, it's not for you (and you can cry in the corner for what you paid before). If you have an older system and was considering an upgrade, Intel is saying "now you can upgrade for cheap" (plus powerful cooler, don't forget).

Certainly could be another Broadwell. That would probably be a good thing as that would indicate 7nm was on schedule.

No roadmap shows 10nm desktop parts only mobile and server. Intel plans 7nm in 2021. They might be pushing desktop to that instead of 10nm.

I think the key here is "double perf per dollar", which means you can get a 10-core i9 for half the price. If you already have one, it's not for you (and you can cry in the corner for what you paid before). If you have an older system and was considering an upgrade, Intel is saying "now you can upgrade for cheap" (plus powerful cooler, don't forget).

To be fair I paid more per core for a Pentium than a Core 2.

And on the other point, no one who would buy a top end CPU uses the stock cooler. The few that do are normally people spending money and not enthusiasts. Most enthusiasts will toss the stock cooler and buy an AiO, better air cooler or a custom water loop for better performance, looks and of course to be quieter than the stock cooler.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Stock or overclocked?

Overclocked? Was that supposed to be a joke? He should go play the lottery if he can hit the advertised boost clock.

Sarcasm aside, no enthusiast is buying an Intel HEDT platform and running it at stock clocks. Forget the stock clock benchmarks, overclock the 3700x to 5Ghz all cores and post those results.

i9 9900X 10 core overclocking

One poster hit 5.2 Ghz with his 9900x. Would be safe to assume the 10900x (what a dumb name if that's it) isn't going to be a worse overclocker.

yankeeDDL

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006

You can never write off a tech giant like Intel, but this sure look awful. The 3950x scores >61K on Geekbench.
The 3900x which is already available scores 44K (https://hothardware.com/news/amd-12-core-ryzen-9-3900x-zen-2-intel-core-i9-9900k) for 550usd.

To be somewhat competitive the 10900x should be priced in the low 600usd, that is assuming that when the Ryzen 9 3950x comes out it will not trigger a price adjustment.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean anything until we know with what Intel made that comparison. IMHO, I believe they are taking the SKylake-X CPU prices. It is not really hard to beat 1000-2000$ CPU for performances per dollar. They are obviously not talking about the 3900x. If this is the case, those 10900X would need to sell for 250$ which is nothing but pure LALA land blind faith.

If they are not talking about base performances, it is obviously a bench with AVX512.

Anyway, this is like the whole DLSS marketing BS all over again.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
The 3900x which is already available scores 44K (https://hothardware.com/news/amd-12-core-ryzen-9-3900x-zen-2-intel-core-i9-9900k) for 550usd.

To be somewhat competitive the 10900x should be priced in the low 600usd, that is assuming that when the Ryzen 9 3950x comes out it will not trigger a price adjustment.

Based on the chart below from Intel, we have a pretty good idea where this is going to be priced. Despite redgarl's usual anti-Intel trolling, there was no ambiguity from Intel that the comparison was vs Skylake X.
cascade-lake-pef-per-dollar.jpg

Based on this chart and the pricing of the 9900x at $1000 with a slight uptick in performance for the 10900x due to increased clock speed. We should expect the 10900x to be somewhere between $500 and $600.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Based on the chart below from Intel, we have a pretty good idea where this is going to be priced. Despite redgarl's usual anti-Intel trolling, there was no ambiguity from Intel that the comparison was vs Skylake X.
cascade-lake-pef-per-dollar.jpg

Based on this chart and the pricing of the 9900x at $1000 with a slight uptick in performance for the 10900x due to increased clock speed. We should expect the 10900x to be somewhere between $500 and $600.

Pricing has apparently leaked.
$590

Latest posts