[SOLVED] Intel core i9-10980xe : When does it go on sale?

Solution
I was wondering the same. After doing some digging, I haven't been able to find out much, other than that its supposed to launch in October, so we should start seeing it by the end of the month hopefully, or possibly sooner.
Lets keep this thread updated with any news that surfaces on the new x series availability.

Hopefully these wont be as difficult to obtain as AMD with their 3900 has been since launch. Those couldn't hardly be found without paying 50%-70% extra. Hopefully Intel has anticipated the demand these price drops will incur and has prepared accordingly so everyone doesn't end up getting price gouged. With all their fabs, they should be able to handle it as long as they plan accordingly, and if not, that just goes to...

febisfebi

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I was wondering the same. After doing some digging, I haven't been able to find out much, other than that its supposed to launch in October, so we should start seeing it by the end of the month hopefully, or possibly sooner.
Lets keep this thread updated with any news that surfaces on the new x series availability.

Hopefully these wont be as difficult to obtain as AMD with their 3900 has been since launch. Those couldn't hardly be found without paying 50%-70% extra. Hopefully Intel has anticipated the demand these price drops will incur and has prepared accordingly so everyone doesn't end up getting price gouged. With all their fabs, they should be able to handle it as long as they plan accordingly, and if not, that just goes to show either how ridiculous their product planning dept is, or just how ridiculous this latest demand surge for high end chips has been.

I forget exactly where the guy posted this or I would have asked, but this guy posted a little while back before all this 10th gen stuff, talking about his 9900x "I'm sure glad I pre-ordered this for $500, since they cost nearly $1000 now"

I'm hoping someone paid attention back then. Did they really launch the 9900x for $500 and then it got driven 200% higher due to their 14nm supply issues they had back then along with unprecedented demand?

That's what it sounds like, so hopefully Intel gets it right this time, with its 14nm supply issues under control. 3 years later...supposedly.

Reactions: rcald2000
Solution

febisfebi

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I think you may be right. Intel seems to be taking a conservative approach with the AMD induced price cutting. I believe they want to make sure they have something worth the extra money it will cost over the 3950x, which (along with 3900x) is really the only real current gen competition for Intel's HEDT lineup, since Threadripper 3 is priced so high it's really in a whole different category. More in the range of Intel's 9th gen HEDT stack.
Which is really rather curious why AMD are targeting a platform that is already irrelevant before TR3 is even released. When I say irrelevant, nobody is even considering 9th gen Intel HEDT at current prices with the pending release of Intel 10th gen HEDT for half the price.
Really, anyone considering TR3 should really consider 2nd gen EPYC single socket offerings, for the same or less money with more memory/IO access.

I'm guessing we should see CSL-X probably a week or two after AMD's launch on 11/25. If its any later than that we will already be well into December, and that means very little time for holiday shoppers to pick them out over other offerings. Which is clearly the main Intel announced them this year rather than simply releasing them with rest of Comet lake-S early next year.

Reactions: rcald2000