News Intel Core i9-12900K vs Ryzen 9 5900X and 5950X: Alder Lake and Ryzen 5000 Face Off

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
As such, we expect AMD to reduce pricing soon, perhaps bringing 5950X pricing closer to the 12900K.

That's wishful thinking. Where can you buy a 5950x in the US for MSRP? There's no reason to lower the price on a CPU that has almost never been available since its launch a year ago. It's unlikely you'll be able to find a 12900k any time soon either. The prices AMD needs to lower are the 5600x and 5800x. Both are often in stock, and the 5600x has been a terrible value since day one, now that the 12600k is just beating it into submission at only $10 more, the 5600x needs to be dropped to the $200-$250 range it should have been all along. Same thing with the 5800x. It's in stock and basically trading blows with the $319 12600k (in stock at that price now at Newegg and Amazon). 5800x is selling for 386 at Newegg right now. Needs to come down another $50 or so.

Reactions: rtoaht
Apr 1, 2020
That's wishful thinking. Where can you buy a 5950x in the US for MSRP? There's no reason to lower the price on a CPU that has almost never been available since its launch a year ago. It's unlikely you'll be able to find a 12900k any time soon either. The prices AMD needs to lower are the 5600x and 5800x. Both are often in stock, and the 5600x has been a terrible value since day one, now that the 12600k is just beating it into submission at only $10 more, the 5600x needs to be dropped to the $200-$250 range it should have been all along. Same thing with the 5800x. It's in stock and basically trading blows with the $319 12600k (in stock at that price now at Newegg and Amazon). 5800x is selling for 386 at Newegg right now. Needs to come down another $50 or so.

B&H has it for $750 on sale right now.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core AM4 Processor 100-100000059WOF (bhphotovideo.com)

Makaveli

Splendid

Can't speak for the US however in Canada there is plenty of stock of all 3 ADL-S cpu's aswell as all the Zen 3 cpu's.

You have to remember AMD is much smaller than Intel and they don't own their own fab. It should be expected Intel will have more available at launch.

This is only because TSMC perhaps slowed down fabrication of other vendor wafers so that Intel could get their stuff out. Intel did NOT produce these chips as they couldn't make it work. That much is evident with their desktop 10nm parts getting kicked to the curb because their QC was poor.

This is only because TSMC perhaps slowed down fabrication of other vendor wafers so that Intel could get their stuff out. Intel did NOT produce these chips as they couldn't make it work. That much is evident with their desktop 10nm parts getting kicked to the curb because their QC was poor.
this is false; alder lake was make at intel fabs.

that said this whole article is hilarious since there currently are hundreds of modern games which cannot run on alderlake due to the denuvo anti piracy junk included with them thinking the big/little core design is some sort of piracy mechanic

Until that is addressed, alderlake is dead in gaming circles. still beautiful chip from intel; only took them 7 years to actually improve upon skylake.

robert3892

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
The test setup for AMD is 3200 Mhz memory versus DDR5 4400 MHZ. It's a skewed test setup in my personal opinion. A more correct test setup would have been a higher DDR4 frequency memory as close to DDR5 4400 Mhz as possible.

Reactions: VforV

Co BIY

Splendid
No need for AMD to lower prices. I bet a lot of AMD builds were started after the Alder Lake reviews showed a narrow intel lead but no blowout.

AMD still has the motherboard advantage (lots of motherboards to upgrade, lots of boards on the market and available, and some price advantage).

AMD also benefits from the DDR4/DDR5 confusion with Intel 12.

If they needed or wanted to it's not clear that AMD can lower prices very much. They have to pay for production and TSMC is raising prices and reducing discounts.

Also, In this inflationary environment holding prices steady is an effective price reduction.

Last edited:
Reactions: VforV

Makaveli

Splendid
No need for AMD to lower prices. I bet a lot of AMD builds were started after the Alder Lake reviews showed a narrow intel lead but no blowout.

AMD still has motherboard and DDR4 advantage.

There is also alot of people on AM4 that didn't go to Zen 3 either due to pricing or being hard to find. So for this up coming Xmas season alot of people can now go with an in socket upgrade to Zen 3.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
that said this whole article is hilarious since there currently are hundreds of modern games which cannot run on alderlake due to the denuvo anti piracy junk included with them thinking the big/little core design is some sort of piracy mechanic

Until that is addressed, alderlake is dead in gaming circles. still beautiful chip from intel; only took them 7 years to actually improve upon skylake.
This is false too. There aren't 100's of games and there is already a workaround which is disabling the e cores. The list isn't exactly a who's who of demanding current gen AAA titles, so if this affects you so much that you wouldn't even consider Alder Lake, then you weren't in the market for it in the first place. None of the games on the list would benefit from a CPU as fast as Alder Lake.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
The 12600k absolutely blows out the 5600x in productivity. The further down the stack you go, the better things look for Intel. In gaming, all these CPU's are more than fast enough to overwhelm even high end GPU's, so it rarely makes a difference now which CPU you have. In Age of Empires 4, which seems to be single threaded, Alder Lake blows out Zen 3, but overall the two architectures are very close.

Reactions: Why_Me and rtoaht

Makaveli

Splendid
AMD certainly isn't going to catch Intel with that defeatist attitude...

Its just being real. AMD has been doing great the last few years and I want that success to continue just as much as anyone else because competition keeps pricing low.

With Lisa su running the ship I have confidence in their upcoming products in the roadmap. This battle with X86 vs ARM(apple) is also just getting started next few years going to be interesting.

Reactions: Jim90

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
this is false; alder lake was make at intel fabs.

It’s not hundreds of games, maybe dozens at best, and will be less soon after more updates roll out. For now, you just have to temporarily disable the small cores in the BIOS if you want to run an older game that hasn’t received an update to fix the issue. Basically the same thing if you want to use AVX 512 acceleration. So it’s not exactly a total deal breaker, and it’s not dead in the water.

Apr 1, 2020
Looks like Newegg has it in stock currently for $740. Maybe demand tanked in anticipation for Alder Lake, as there's no denying this hasn't been an easy CPU to track down in the US since launch.

Demand tanked more when AMD announced the 3d cache refresh Zen 3 line would be inbound early next year and be at least 15% faster than current Zen 3 chips and still exist on Socket AM4.

Reactions: Jim90

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
It's a little curious that reviewers are focusing on the 12900k/12600k when the 12700k looks to be an excellent middle ground, and quite a strong competitor to the 5900x. It's currently in stock in the US at NewEgg for $ 449 and BestBuy for $419. That said, the 5900x has dropped substantially (now only $499 at MicroCenter). I expect that to drop even further. However... it seems the biggest factor holding back Intel chips is the increased cost associated with the new platform, i.e. DDR5/PCI5 mobos and RAM, which Intel can't control. The total lack of PCI5 GPUs/SSDs will also cause people to hold off a bit.

Putting aside the details, I am happy to see competition in the CPU sphere again. The last time things were this exciting was in the 90s. Now if only GPUs became exciting again... (or atleast available at reasonable prices)

Reactions: Why_Me and RodroX
Demand tanked more when AMD announced the 3d cache refresh Zen 3 line would be inbound early next year and be at least 15% faster than current Zen 3 chips and still exist on Socket AM4.
It's 15% on average not at least, with the lowest they showed being 4% and the highest 24% ,and all that's with only 5 games total.
Also if the cache has an influence on power draw and or heat and with that on clocks the 15% average could be less than that.
2021-10-12-image-31-j_1100.webp

loI good thing AMD came out with the Ryzen cpus almost 5 years ago, else we would still be talking about 4 cores, no HT chips for desktop (on anything but core i7), and paying a huge premium for a productivity chip.

Is very good for us that intel is finally back. This will put a little preasure on AMD to perhaps drop the prices a little bit (but Im guessing it wont be too much) and also to come back with someting more powerfull. Which in the end will put the preasure back on intel and soo on.

In any case I stand at what I wrote some days ago, even if intel is faster, most people who are about to spend money on their system will instead try to get a long waited GPU this next holidays. And leave the cpu upgrade for later.

Reactions: prtskg and Jim90
Apr 1, 2020
It's 15% on average not at least, with the lowest they showed being 4% and the highest 24% ,and all that's with only 5 games total.
Also if the cache has an influence on power draw and or heat and with that on clocks the 15% average could be less than that.
2021-10-12-image-31-j_1100.webp

That's just talking about the 3D cache alone, and doesn't take into account any refinements in the Zen 3 architecture. Remember Zen 3 is over a year old counting development time, and with Zen 4 not due out until late next year or even 2023 depending on the chip shortage situation, and considering AMD likely has already made at least SOME improvements to Zen 3 for the inbound Zen 3 based Threadripper series, I don't think 15% across the board performance uplift is unreasonable. Remember that the revisionist Zen+ 2000 series was 8-20% faster than the Zen based 1800X, and there wasn't anything nearly as fancy as a 3D cache improvement to further enhance performance.

I'm actually being optimistic here because I want performance to continue to increase on both sides so us consumers win with a proper war, the last thing we need is a repeat of the dark days of Phenom-Piledriver, because Intel has shown they are perfectly willing to stop innovating when they have no competition.

Last edited:

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
12600k is not $289 in EU, it's not even 289 euro in EU, it's over 300 euro, even 320 which is more than 5600x...

How many stores do really have that unicorn price of $289?

I think is more BS than true, just to make intel look good on paper, while in reality they actually don't have a price advantage....

Reactions: Makaveli