News Intel Core i9-13900KS Review: The World's First 6 GHz 320W CPU

Co BIY

Splendid
Given that it's better binned silicon the KS will likely actually be more effcient than a K chip in normal operation.

The extreme edge cases like Prime 95 tests clearly push it above the sweet spot but don't represent a practical load.

The "Task Energy" chart shows this although I believe the reviewer misinterprets it in his text. That chart shows equivalent effciency to the AMD 7950X and better than the standard K.

Last edited:

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
With 13900KS topping the critically acclaimed and highly coveted Far Cry 6 and Watchdogs Legion, I might pick up this CPU and finally play these two masterpieces.

Co BIY

Splendid
"s AMD preps three new Ryzen 7000X3D processors with its disruptive 3D V-Cache tech that delivers explosive gains in gaming performance."

That's what i'm waiting for. I would love to see how this helps improve Microsoft Flight Simulator.

MS Flight gets the most gains out of the extra cache and also represents a group of very focused users willing to pay dearly for improved single program performance.

Very interesting as flight simulators have in the past prefered Intel's processors. Have you seen any good article that explain why?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
26.5% higher PL1/PL2 to get a whopping 3.4% more clock speed . . for, at best, less than 2% increase in performance. Oh, and 18.7% or 23.9% more money, depending on whether you compare it to the K or the KF.

Pretty much as I'd said in the other thread.

This is a bragging-rights chip, nothing more. "OMG I have moar hertzes than you!"

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
MS Flight gets the most gains out of the extra cache and also represents a group of very focused users willing to pay dearly for improved single program performance.

Very interesting as flight simulators have in the past prefered Intel's processors. Have you seen any good article that explain why?
IIRC, Steve Burke from Gamers Nexus reviewed the 5800X3d and noted that MSFS does benefit from the extra cache.

Reactions: phenomiix6
26.5% higher PL1/PL2 to get a whopping 3.4% more clock speed . .
What are you guys basing these numbers on?!
All I see is a max of 330W for the KS which is the exact same that the non-S CPU reaches at max.

In the productivity apps where they have actually measured the power draw the difference is like 10% at the max but in general much lower than that.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17641/lighter-touch-cpu-power-scaling-13900k-7950x/3
130462.png

Possibly because AMDs cache historically has been higher latency, not entirely sure. I do know that the cache relationship with sims has been known about for some time, lots of data points in sims need to be stored and if it fits in cache then that is more betterer. And faster = better, and fast and mostest is best I guess. All I know is the X3D barely breaks a sweat at 60fps whereas my 5600X was causing a near constant main thread limit at the same settings.

Co BIY

Splendid
Normal consumer use? As in buying a 13900KS to enjoy Tom's Hardware articles?

Yes - and everything else up to the capabilty of the standard K chip.

My response is to the post that implied that such a chip is power wasteful especially if an "average person" were to use it. For those really concerned about power consumption it might be a very appropriate purchase based on the "Task effcientcy".

Is it cost effcient ? Probably not.

My Take -

Does your build plan already include a mid-to-high end Z board, generously sized power supply and a AIO CPU cooler? If yes, Then the KS may be for you.

Co BIY

Splendid
Good grief, anyone choosing this over the K falls into the fool-and-their-money category. I know people will, and with various flimsy justifications but that money is better spent elsewhere in the system to a greater performance benefit overall.

It's only a $110 premium over the K series. For a ~2% gain. Gen-to-Gen it's actually cheaper.

Not a value proposition to be sure but, in a high-end system where else are you going to spend $110 and get a much better return ?

DDR5 over DDR4 seems similar - A few percent for a few hundred $.
Premium SSD over Main Stream SSD - Same
3rd party GPU card over a reference GPU - Similar
AIO over Big Air - Close
Water cooling vs AIO - ?

I'm not sure why there is a lot of hate for this chip ?

Last edited:

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
Yes - and everything else up to the capabilty of the standard K chip.

My response is to the post that implied that such a chip is power wasteful especially if an "average person" were to use it. For those really concerned about power consumption it might be a very appropriate purchase based on the "Task effcientcy".

Is it cost effcient ? Probably not.

My Take -

Does your build plan already include a mid-to-high end Z board, generously sized power supply and a AIO CPU cooler? If yes, Then the KS may be for you.
Are you an XOC? No? This is not for you. Yes? This is for you.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
The problem with high-end gaming CPU is that there are no games for them. Most i5 are good enough nowadays to run anything.

The only game in January that required a high-end system was Forspoken, a horrible game.

Meanwhile about 40+ other PC games came out in January that run fine on a $100 i3.

The average developer has no time or desire to spend 3 years creating games with ridiculous detail. The number of yearly "AAA" games that require anything more than an i3 can be counted on 1 hand.

The only graphically intense game I look forward to in 2023 is Hogwarths Legacy which will run fine on the latest i3 and i5.

Last edited: