News Intel Core i9-14900K, i7-14700K and i5-14600K Review: Raptor Lake Refresh XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
The opening shot appears to show three brand new processors on a piece of grey and white flecked carpet, a well known source of static voltages. Perhaps they're only dummy non-working CPUs, but it's hardly a good example for Tom's readers to follow.

When buying second hand components on eBay, I avoid all auctions showing CPUs, RAM, GPUs and mobos resting on carpet. It's one of the worst sources of ESD damage.

I find your choice of games to test and get the average... disturbing. :rolleyes:
In what sense? That too many benefit too much from X3D? We do try to pick games that are more likely to show a delta based off CPU performance, rather than just taxing the GPU.

For a lot of games, especially if you're not using an RTX 4090, the gap between 7800X3D/7950X3D and the other CPUs will be smaller, yes. You need to look at the big picture, or just find benchmarks of the games you actually play to see if there's a meaningful difference.

Crazyy8

Prominent
Sep 22, 2023
hmmm... 8% overclock == 8% uplift in performance. Surprise surprise surprise. This isn't a 14th gen. this is overclocked 13th gen.

big skip
Same price for a CPU overclock, with more headroom for another 8% overclock? If it's the same price as last gen with better perfomance, it's good. Plus, it lowers the price of last gen for people on a budget.

Reactions: KyaraM and Order 66

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
The extreme power consumption of the new Raptor Lake CPUs is beyond reason.
The Ryzen 7800 X3D consumes significantly less power while still providing the fastest game performance.
I would touch the RL chips only with a hard TDP limitation set in BIOS, so forcing them to operate much closer to their point of maximum efficiency on the power envelope.

The opening shot appears to show three brand new processors on a piece of grey and white flecked carpet, a well known source of static voltages. Perhaps they're only dummy non-working CPUs, but it's hardly a good example for Tom's readers to follow.

When buying second hand components on eBay, I avoid all auctions showing CPUs, RAM, GPUs and mobos resting on carpet. It's one of the worst sources of ESD damage.
The odds ESD will actually kill a component anymore is so low it is only worth considering in enterprise and business situations. Linus tried to kill a RAM stick with an ESD creation device with electroboom and was unsuccessful. The thought that merely placing a CPU onto a carpeted surface would cause ESD damage before some other physical damage is laughable.

Bluoper

Prominent
Sep 5, 2023
The performance isn't really that surprising, there's a reason they called it raptor lake refresh, I think the lower end i5 and i3 of 14th gen to be far more interesting, from what I've heard the i3 will be faster and have 6 p cores so a lot faster the previous i3s and likely marks the end of the quad core segment for intel.

Well, not many brands can launch a new product that actually perform worst (in some tests) than the old one it supposed to replace (cough, Apple, cough).
On the other hand considering the small margins both old and new are basically the same chip in many test.
Perhaps software needs to catch up?

If someone is into gaming rght now the Ryzen 7 7800X3D for $369, still the best choice for a high tier GPU.

I guess it will be till the next chip generation to see something new.

Also, no wonder AMD never did a Ryzen 5 x600X3D, that thing would probably mess the CPU gaming market too much.

Personally Amazon has been one of my several favorite buying review sources and receiving direct feedback from both, 'confirmed' independent novice users and enthusiasts who already have put their own money on the line! As you already know...Money talks...!
Amazon is one of the worst places on the internet to review products... There are thousands of fake, or paid for reviews. So often am I offered cash from the seller to change my review or remove it. That is what is truly disturbing. I am not going to try and tell you to trust Toms, that's not my place, but to trust Amazon reviews, SMH.

Well, not many brands can launch a new product that actually perform worst (in some tests) than the old one it supposed to replace (cough, Apple, cough).
On the other hand considering the small margins both old and new are basically the same chip in many test.
Perhaps software needs to catch up?

If someone is into gaming rght now the Ryzen 7 7800X3D for $369, still the best choice for a high tier GPU.

I guess it will be till the next chip generation to see something new.

Also, no wonder AMD never did a Ryzen 5 x600X3D, that thing would probably mess the CPU gaming market too much, for them too.
I agree. They released the 5600X3D to microcenters and a friend of mine grabbed one to see how it compared to my 5800X3D. The 5600X3D was within margin of error (3%) compared to my 5800X3D. This does not mean they cannot release an ?600X3D CPU in the future, they just have to sell it for more than most would be willing to buy it for to reduce cannibalizing their product stack. This is one of the big reasons they release X3D processors long after the initial release of the non-X3D CPUs.

I agree. They released the 5600X3D to microcenters and a friend of mine grabbed one to see how it compared to my 5800X3D. The 5600X3D was within margin of error (3%) compared to my 5800X3D. This does not mean they cannot release an ?600X3D CPU in the future, they just have to sell it for more than most would be willing to buy it for to reduce cannibalizing their product stack. This is one of the big reasons they release X3D processors long after the initial release of the non-X3D CPUs.
LOL, seriously. Trusting Amazon reviews over tech site reviews is like saying, "You know, I don't like independent sites that publish their own test results. I only go to Intel's [or AMD's or Nvidia's or whoever] marketing department to find out how a product performs."

Most people on Amazon — the ones that don't have a bought and paid for review — wouldn't even know how to properly test a product. "I plugged this in and it worked. Five stars!" (Not that the paid for reviews know how to test either...)

evdjj3j

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2017
LOL, seriously. Trusting Amazon reviews over tech site reviews is like saying, "You know, I don't like independent sites that publish their own test results. I only go to Intel's [or AMD's or Nvidia's or whoever] marketing department to find out how a product performs."

Most people on Amazon — the ones that don't have a bought and paid for review — wouldn't even know how to properly test a product. "I plugged this in and it worked. Five stars!" (Not that the paid for reviews know how to test either...)
Looks like you jumped on the wrong person, your target should have been RodroX.

Like most these cpu article they can't just say it makes no difference in real world game usage, nobody would read their articles and no advertiser would pay either. Even though a lot of the 14th gen reviews are very close to saying that.

If we ignore the crazy counter strike player who plays on low settings nobody who buys a $1600 video card is going to run at 1080. For people that can only afford to run at 1080 the cost of better performance is likely not going to be cpu related.

This means for almost all people who are building machines for gaming they are going to be GPU bound and they will see no difference even between the newest chips and say older chips like a 5800x3d.

Problem is until the GPU catch up, mostly in affordability, the summary for future CPU chips will likely be similar. They are all way overpowered compared to the video cards they are commonly matched with.

If we ignore the crazy counter strike player who plays on low settings nobody who buys a $1600 video card is going to run at 1080. For people that can only afford to run at 1080 the cost of better performance is likely not going to be cpu related.
1080p is more CPU reliant than 1440p or 4k, such that you need a minimum level of power to not become to CPU restrained. Something like this is more of a mid to higher mid level PC. This would be perfect for 1080-1440p gaming at med to high settings.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600KF 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($37.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($159.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL32 Memory ($82.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($499.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.66 @ Amazon)
Total: $1274.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-17 13:39 EDT-0400

Something like this is more of a minimum entry level gaming PC for 1080p without too much constraint on the CPU. It can get cheaper with second hand parts of course.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($134.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($37.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Redline Stiletto 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.66 @ Amazon)
Total: $916.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-17 13:36 EDT-0400

Status
Not open for further replies.