News Intel Core i9-9900KS Will Likely Have a 127W TDP

lucid484

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I just bought an i9-9900kf last week and was bummed when they announced the ks would be shipping just 4 hours after I made the purchase. Well I paired it up with a Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Mobo and Noctua DH-15 a few days ago. Installed the windows based gigabyte OC software and literally clicked the "Easy OC" button that runs all 8 cores at 5ghz. Been running perfectly in all my games since. Not one problem. Not sure if it is indicative of other chips but i'm glad I saved my money since the KS will likely be much pricier...

It will still draw 200+ watts under load. TDP is irrelevant.

TDP is measured at base clock for Intel chips. The 9900ks has a higher base clock and same other specs as the 9900k, so it would make sense the 9900ks would have a higher TDP.

Reactions: BulkZerker
Sep 19, 2019
This chip is just rip off for unaware users. I cant even believe they call it "new" CHIP this is ridiculous.
As lot of youtube tech rewievers states KS is short for keep spending.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I know it's a relatively recent thing with Intel doing this, but on what generation did they start coming up with their TDP on the base clock?

I want to say 8th gen, but not sure.

Previous ones TDP was more or less based on boost clock, wasn't it?

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
I just bought an i9-9900kf last week and was bummed when they announced the ks would be shipping just 4 hours after I made the purchase. Well I paired it up with a Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Mobo and Noctua DH-15 a few days ago. Installed the windows based gigabyte OC software and literally clicked the "Easy OC" button that runs all 8 cores at 5ghz. Been running perfectly in all my games since. Not one problem. Not sure if it is indicative of other chips but i'm glad I saved my money since the KS will likely be much pricier...
Was a good call, the KS is just for those wealthy people who just want the best Intel desktop processor while keeping their warranty.

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-cpu,5847-11.html

Looking at this link, it seems like a loaded 5GHz on all 8 cores will throw off close to 250W. Meaning that to really use this chip will require robust liquid cooling. That's fine for those who understand this and plan accordingly. I just suspect that quite a few buyers will assume that the numbers on the box are much more readily achievable than will actually be the case.

If you use a cooler matching the tdp of the 9900ks, the cpu will not throttle. This is what the tdp says.

The cpu will just run very hot and not turbo much at all limiting performance.

Id like to see a 9900k tdp limited vs a 3900x tdp limited. Im sure the ryzen would win as its rated tdp is far closer to the power consumption at stock settings.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-cpu,5847-11.html

Looking at this link, it seems like a loaded 5GHz on all 8 cores will throw off close to 250W. Meaning that to really use this chip will require robust liquid cooling. That's fine for those who understand this and plan accordingly. I just suspect that quite a few buyers will assume that the numbers on the box are much more readily achievable than will actually be the case.
Yeah this depends on what intel was binning all this time,it sure wasn't binning out CPUs that can't hit 5Ghz on all cores since all of them can do that,so what were they binning?
My guess is they were searching for CPUs that would use as little power as possible for the 5Ghz because nothing else makes any sense.

And I don't mean this as a counter argument,yes if you want to REALLY use it you WILL require robust liquid cooling but not for occasional short 5Ghz all core boosts.