News Intel Core Ultra 200 Arrow Lake desktop CPU launch reportedly delayed to October 24

TheSecondPower

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
Lunar Lake and Meteor Lake each had a "launch" date and a later release date which was announced on the "launch" date. Which Arrow Lake date was delayed, the launch date or the release date?

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Sure, but without there being a public release date nothing else matters. Missing what amounts to as an internal date is pretty irrelevant.
I doubt Intel's partners would be happy about the delay, not least system builders and the retail channel. Then again, AMD had their own delays, so ...<shrug/>?

You say it's irrelevant, but if they indeed hit last-minute delays of ~2 weeks, that's troubling. It's bad for AMD to do that, but even worse for Intel (being bigger and having gone through these motions even more times). I wonder if we'll get any insights into the reasons for it. I'm still wondering about that 20A-cancellation news.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Let me engage in pure speculation... perhaps Intel is having trouble building their usual pre-launch stockpile. They are using TSMC this gen and have less control of the manufacturing, and TSMC is under enormous pressure to remanufacture the defective Nvidia chips. Nvidia being a long time partner and not a competitor might sway TSMC in to pushing Intel's order back a bit.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
I think this article is here just to feed the trading algorithms with a couple of associated words in the title.
It isn't news but speculation from comparing a newer rumor to an older rumor.
A similar title would be "RDNA 3 loses 1/3 of it's performance" based on rumors compared to earlier rumors. You could also substitute Zen 5 for RDNA3 in that statement.

TheHerald

Notable
Feb 15, 2024
Chris, you called Intel "market leader". 😂 Yes, they are leading in losing more money and market share each quarter.
They are the leaders in market share and sales. They are not the leaders in the vast vocal minority of the internet that bashes intel for personal reasons unrelated to their actual products.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Let me engage in pure speculation... perhaps Intel is having trouble building their usual pre-launch stockpile. They are using TSMC this gen and have less control of the manufacturing, and TSMC is under enormous pressure to remanufacture the defective Nvidia chips. Nvidia being a long time partner and not a competitor might sway TSMC in to pushing Intel's order back a bit.
The wafer allocations for current production quotas should've been purchased many months (possibly years?) ago. Since like 2021, these companies all know they cannot count on last-minute wafer buys from TSMC.

I doubt Intel's partners would be happy about the delay, not least system builders and the retail channel.
Why would any of them care?

Without there being any public release dates there are no expectations. The only reason any of them should care is it whatever the reason it required them to do something other than sit on what they have.
Then again, AMD had their own delays, so ...<shrug/>?
AMD had already announced release dates and then at the last minute changed things, didn't immediately give a new date and then ended up staggering the release. These situations are absolutely not the same thing.
You say it's irrelevant, but if they indeed hit last-minute delays of ~2 weeks, that's troubling. It's bad for AMD to do that, but even worse for Intel (being bigger and having gone through these motions even more times). I wonder if we'll get any insights into the reasons for it. I'm still wondering about that 20A-cancellation news.
People expected LNL to be available on launch and then surprise it wasn't. Companies do this all the time and rarely does the public know why. The benefit with ARL is that Intel hasn't set any specific expectations regarding the release. Bumping things for such a short period of time is rarely anything particularly bad so it could be as simple as giving time for additional stock to make its way out.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
People expected LNL to be available on launch and then surprise it wasn't. Companies do this all the time and rarely does the public know why.
With Lunar Lake, I can understand the difference of it being a laptop SoC and not something Intel sells via the retail channel. So, maybe Intel needs to allow more time for partner companies, because building & refining a laptop is a bigger deal than something like a motherboard.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
The wafer allocations for current production quotas should've been purchased many months (possibly years?) ago. Since like 2021, these companies all know they cannot count on last-minute wafer buys from TSMC.
Allocation.. sure, but timing of said allocation? Due to the nature of the industry I'd guessing TSMC has wiggle room for timing in their contracts. It's not hard to imagine some customers got bumped back by the b200 rework. It seemed like the rework was because of a packaging problem, and TSMC might feel some responsibility for the issue.. seeing as how it's their brand new packaging tech.