News Intel Core Ultra 9 285K is the new single-thread performance leader in PassMark benchmark

TheHerald

Notable
Feb 15, 2024
At what power envelope though.

Previous Gen also did well on Syn test. But we know how that's working out for all the duds and power usage issues now.
Previous gen was a lot more efficient than it's competition in ST workloads.

efficiency-singlethread.png

Reactions: JRStern

That chart is missing AMD's 9000 series, though it wouldn't make much of a difference. Chiplet designs are less efficient for single core because of the nature of the I/O die and the infinity fabric having to be powered for any core to do work. This adds a set amount of power required to do any work on any core, but its a relatively fixed amount of power. Stock multi-core efficiency is a different story.

Reactions: JRStern

Good try on spinning it, as always, like this.

Can you find others where AMD is behind Intel in ST efficiency? I can see the 7800X3D second in the chart and the 13400F first, but we know which one would be the right pick for your enthusiast.

What about gaming workloads, for example?

Regards.

TheHerald

Notable
Feb 15, 2024

Can you find others where AMD is behind Intel in ST efficiency? I can see the 7800X3D second in the chart and the 13400F first, but we know which one would be the right pick for your enthusiast.

Regards.
How the heck am I spinning it? I just posted a graph from TPUP, what the hell man?

How are gaming workloads relevant here? The thread is about ST performance, guy said Intel consumes too much power at those, I provided some evidence to the contrary. Where is the problem?

Yes, I can find others where AMD is behind. How about this one?

828-EDB5-F-C71-B-4594-8997-3-E0-ED78-F9-C64.png

Can you people stop it? It's just a company. You don't have to defend it against all evidence to the contrary, damn.

How the heck am I spinning it? I just posted a graph from TPUP, what the hell man?

How are gaming workloads relevant here? The thread is about ST performance, guy said Intel consumes too much power at those, I provided some evidence to the contrary. Where is the problem?

Yes, I can find others where AMD is behind. How about this one?

828-EDB5-F-C71-B-4594-8997-3-E0-ED78-F9-C64.png

Can you people stop it? It's just a company. You don't have to defend it against all evidence to the contrary, damn.
We (I'm guessing I'm representing the rest of the world) are not defending anything. We're trying to stop you from spreading false claims and misrepresent findings on tests.

The two tests you've pointed out are not quite good as you may want to beleive. Specially the second, since it's just power with no measure of performance. Unless you want to test stability or something like that?

In order to stablish whether one or the other is more efficient, you need average tests not single passes of any specific software to prove your bias in a very underhanded way.

I'll stop here, since it's a waste to continue.

Regards.

Reactions: Peksha

JRStern

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2017
IOW on single core they're all about the same, and on multi there's no chart but probably similar.
And even the worst of them is plenty fast for 99% of real users.

How about versus Lunar Lake (recent laptop chip)?

Regards.
As I explained above, AMD chiplet CPUs are ,in fact, less efficient at single core workloads than Intel's monolithic die CPUs. I also said it's a different story when talking about multithreaded efficiency, as we both know.

TRENDING THREADS