Intel Core2duo E6300 questions

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
My friend has a computer with a 1.86ghz e6300 cpu and a 8800GTS. I have a feeling a cpu at that speed isn't letting the gpu show its full potential. He doesn't really know much in the way of hardware, so i am thinking about overclocking it for him. What is the most stable or maximum overclock possible on this chip at stock voltages?

Chad Boga

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I don't know the answer to your question, but as for an approach you can take, why not try a 20% overclock and run stuff like Prime or Intel Burn Test on it to test for stability? Also see if that makes any difference in games.

If you do a slight voltage increase, you probably will be good for at least 33%.

Actually, try Intel Burn Test before any overclocking, just to make sure you have your heatsink properly fitted.

I must have stuffed up the fitting of the stock Intel heat sink coz my CPU was failing the Intel Burn Test and reaching 92degrees.

Once I fitted my Noctura big boy on it, I passed the highest setting possible on the Intel Burn Test and my CPU never got hotter than 54degrees.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
No two chips are the same but I would assume that thing should be able to get at least 500mhz on stock volts. I had my e6420 on stock volts/cooler at 3ghz stable.

But don't get ahead of yourself. Your friend who doesn't know much about hardware probably doesn't have a custom built machine that supports overclocking. I would check that first. See what board first of all and them the ram. Of course without a board that can overclock you're screwed. And if the ram is slow it will hold the overclock back.