Question Intel Corei7 8700k running at 3808.36MHz...No turbo?

PatrickPowers

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
Hi there,

I'm rendering out an animation from After Effects and I have Core Temp running just to keep an eye on my CPU temp. While looking at the read out, I noticed that it says the frequency of my CPU (i7 8700k, not overclocked) is "3808.36MHz" and sometimes 3900 MHz. Either way, I thought that with the turbo boost, the CPU would kick all the way up to 4.3 or 4.7 GHz.

So, is my turbo boost not kicking in? Is it possible that I deactivated it in the BIOS when setting stuff up? Or, is there no turbo b/c the CPU doesn't need it at this point (even though Task Manager tells me this render is using 75-80% of my CPU)?

Any clarity on this issue would be most appreciated!

Hi there,

I'm rendering out an animation from After Effects and I have Core Temp running just to keep an eye on my CPU temp. While looking at the read out, I noticed that it says the frequency of my CPU (i7 8700k, not overclocked) is "3808.36MHz" and sometimes 3900 MHz. Either way, I thought that with the turbo boost, the CPU would kick all the way up to 4.3 or 4.7 GHz.

So, is my turbo boost not kicking in? Is it possible that I deactivated it in the BIOS when setting stuff up? Or, is there no turbo b/c the CPU doesn't need it at this point (even though Task Manager tells me this render is using 75-80% of my CPU)?

Any clarity on this issue would be most appreciated!
There are several determinant factors for a CPU to Turbo Boost.
The CPU must have some headroom in one or more cores, be within temperature, TDP limits, workload, platform design, etc, etc.

What's the temperature of the CPU?
Which motherboard do you have?

You should use CPU-Z to monitor your CPU frequency.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Reactions: PatrickPowers

PatrickPowers

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
There are several determinant factors for a CPU to Turbo Boost.
The CPU must have some headroom in one or more cores, be within temperature, TDP limits, workload, platform design, etc, etc.

What's the temperature of the CPU?
Which motherboard do you have?

You should use CPU-Z to monitor your CPU frequency.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Temps range from 30-57 while rendering (it fluctuates as each frame is rendered, 57 is the highest its ever gotten, and that on just one of the 6 cores). I'm using a Corsair H100i to cool.

MB is a Asus TUF 7370 Plus

Also, if it matters,

RAM - 64 GB DDR4 RAM | GPU - EVGA Geforce GTX 1070ftw | OS - Windows 10

YOu can search carefully for the disabled turbo option, or, just default the BIOS, then readjust the XMP profile for whatever RAM is installed...

Having most CPU-related settings set to 'Auto' is usually correct.

GIven an Asus mainboard, there should even be the MCE (MultiCore Enhancement) option, which, if enabled, should turbo you to as high as 4.7 GHz on all cores, given enough power/VRM/cooling margin/headroom....

As you are not going above even base speeds, I'd look for Intel SpeedStep and/or Turbo to both be enabled, and, make sure all appropriate/applicable Z370 chipset drivers are properly installed.....

PatrickPowers

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
YOu can search carefully for the disabled turbo option, or, just default the BIOS, then readjust the XMP profile for whatever RAM is installed...

Having most CPU-related settings set to 'Auto' is usually correct.

GIven an Asus mainboard, there should even be the MCE (MultiCore Enhancement) option, which, if enabled, should turbo you to as high as 4.7 GHz on all cores, given enough power/VRM/cooling margin/headroom....

As you are not going above even base speeds, I'd look for Intel SpeedStep and/or Turbo to both be enabled, and, make sure all appropriate/applicable Z370 chipset drivers are properly installed.....

Ok - so you think if turbo was running normally, I'd be seeing higher CPU speeds than this?

I can see if I've turned off the turbo in the BIOS for some reason. I think I remember seeing the MCE featureback when I set things up--that would be good to enable? I was worried about overheating, so I may have toned things back more than necessary.

Ok - so you think if turbo was running normally, I'd be seeing higher CPU speeds than this?
I have also see higher speeds but it will depend on factors.
It could be that the work you are performing does not require a higher frequency to perform the task.

I can see if I've turned off the turbo in the BIOS for some reason. I think I remember seeing the MCE featureback when I set things up--that would be good to enable? I was worried about overheating, so I may have toned things back more than necessary.
I have the i7 8700 in a small case with a small air cooler and it hits 4.67 GHz when stressed (Premiere rendering / Audacity audio editing ) and the temps stay below 68° C.
You should not have to worry about temps with the H100i .
In normal usage it does not goes above 4.30 GHz

PatrickPowers

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
I have also see higher speeds but it will depend on factors.
It could be that the work you are performing does not require a higher frequency to perform the task.

I have the i7 8700 in a small case with a small air cooler and it hits 4.67 GHz when stressed (Premiere rendering / Audacity audio editing ) and the temps stay below 68° C.
You should not have to worry about temps with the H100i .
In normal usage it does not goes above 4.30 GHz

Alright, I went in and defaulted my BIOS settings and now the CPU is running at 4.3-4.6 GHz under stress (rendering out a 4K animation).

However, my temps are also up, one of the cores hit 69C and normally they would never go above 60. Is that a pretty standard bump in temp? Note...this is going to be a 9 hours render, so we’ll see how the temps do over the long haul.

Alright, I went in and defaulted my BIOS settings and now the CPU is running at 4.3-4.6 GHz under stress (rendering out a 4K animation).

However, my temps are also up, one of the cores hit 69C and normally they would never go above 60. Is that a pretty standard bump in temp? Note...this is going to be a 9 hours render, so we’ll see how the temps do over the long haul.
That sounds about right, the higher the clock frequency the higher the temps goes.... you could increase the cooler fan speed to decrease the temperature.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The coolant in an aio will generally climatize to the load after about a half hour, so temps shouldn't be any different at all between hour-1 and hour-9.

Yes, temps are going to go up after the bios reset. Turbo speeds respond to core usage in order to maintain TDP. So with 1 core turbo, you'll hit 4.7GHz, 2 cores 4.6, 3 cores 4.5, 4/5 cores 4.4 and all 6 cores is 4.3GHz. ± a few Hz.

With that added speed and added voltages/current/power being used/delivered temps are going to be slightly higher.

How much higher depends on the load, the amount of work the cpu is doing. The other poster hits 68°C in a similar load, so your temps are well within the margin of error, airflow characteristics, cooler efficiency etc.

Intel deliberately sets stock voltages high, it's a set voltage that covers every manufactured cpu in that series, because every cpu is different and responds to voltages differently. So a blanket voltage is applied that's bigger than every need. So you could realistically undervolt the cpu somewhat, dropping vcore down to just above your specific cpus needs, and drop temps by a good amount.

I'd do that After you finish the render and have a bunch of time to tinker.

Last edited:

PatrickPowers

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
Ok - Thanks for the info Karadjgne, I'm not sure how to "undervolt" the CPU, but it sounds like it would be good....

However, I have another issue now. After defaulting out my BIOS, I've found that my computer can't wake up from sleep. The lights come on, the H100 fans start going, but the chassis fans remain inert and the monitors remain black (even when turned on and off and un-plugged, re-plugged).

I realize this moves into a wholly different realm of issue, so I've started a new thread for this new development over here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-z370-now-pc-wont-wake-up-from-sleep.3554358/

Thanks to all who have helped! Despite this new setback and higher temps, I do think running the CPU at a higher frequency will help speed up my animation work in After Effects, which was the goal of this whole endeavor.