Intel could face largest ever European Union fine

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
Intel could face largest ever European Union fine

Legal experts estimate figure could top €1bn
Iain Thomson in San Francisco, vnunet.com

01 May 2009

Analysts are forecasting that Intel could face the largest fine in European history, if found guilty of anti-competitive practices by the European Union.

The EU is currently investigating the chip giant over anti-competitive practices, including offering discounts to manufacturers for using Intel chips, as well as encouraging them to not use hardware from rival AMD.

"I would be surprised if the fine isn't as high or higher than in the Microsoft case," Howard Cartlidge, head of the EU competition group at law firm Olswang in London, told The New York Times.

"Technology markets are where the European Commission has perceived particular problems due to dominant companies."

Legal analysts estimate that the fine could exceed €1bn, well above the €497m fine levied against Microsoft.

Intel has already been found guilty of anti-competitive practices in Japan and Korea, and now faces investigations by the EU and the US Federal Trade Commission.

In the EU case, the company insists that it has done nothing wrong and is confident of being proved innocent. "Overall, Intel's conduct is lawful, pro-competitive and beneficial to consumers," said Intel spokesman Robert Manetta.

However, AMD begs to differ. Senior sources within the company say that Intel has been conducting anti-competitive practices to maintain a dominant 80/20 split in market share that has not changed in years, despite modifications in technology.

AMD pointed out that, even when Intel misjudged the market with the introduction of the poorly received Itanium, and AMD's Xeon had a clear run at the server space, the relative market shares barely changed.

AMD contends that Intel uses subsidies to make sure manufacturers use its chips and ignore the competition.

The sources cited a comment by HP director Tom Perkins that came out during the HP spying scandal. Perkins said that "Intel might be kicking the cr** out of us," which AMD takes to relate to HP's decision to use more AMD processors.
Permalink: http://www.vnunet.com/2241524

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2241524/intel-face-largest-eu-fine-ever

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
OH NOES!

Not my baby Intel.
I thought I loved you two AMD. :'(

Through all I'm concerned, their processors are a lot more powerful than the ones from my childhood, and a completely basic computer doesn't cost $2000+ anymore.
They are providing great products at great prices, both companies.

Billions have to go into R&D, explaining a=much of the price.

ah heck off yeah damned Union!
I thought my old work union was horrible and expensive...

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Lol the E.U. zeesh such petty people there, everything is fine and then economic crisis so lets fine and sue every non European based company, it doesn't make us look bad if we do it to the tech community because Europe doesn't really produce things like OS or computer parts really so it doesn't look like European protection-ism.

Damn random when did you get MOD powers?

And yea I read this. Of course they will fine Intel. Then they will go after Google because Google is too big for their own good. Google pushed out other search providers such as Yahoo by using a "backdoor" search.

And by backdoor the EU will say "giving websites money to not be found on other search providers such as Yahoo or MSN, or giving rebates for using Google".

I mean they have to have some reason to fine them, right?

randomizer

Champion

Couldn't resist, the EU annoys me :lol:

About a week ago.

No, only an excuse.

jennyh

Splendid
So why are you changing the title of another posters thread to reflect your personal views when you clearly don't even have any knowledge about it?

Don't bother explaining it to me, explain it to whichever one of the real mods asks after I ask them the same question.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Jenny just knock it off with the constant Intel bashing and AMD ass kissing. Really, just stop. Its pretty embarasing. You dont give a crap about the thread title being changed, all youre worried about is making sure Intel is painted with a bulls-eye at every opportunity.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Random, don't abuse your mod powers, please.

With that said, what was the orignal title? Was it in caps? :lol: :lol:

jennyh

Splendid

No actually I *do* give a crap about the title being changed, that is why I asked another, much longer standing mod for an explanation of it. And if I don't get a satisfactory answer, I'll keep asking until I do.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

If the title were changed to "Evil Intel found guilty of heinous crimes (Shocking!!)" I bet you wouldn't have put up as much of a fight.

You mean you'll keep asking until they block your pms.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
It seems rather [strike]silly[/strike]childish to me to change the thread title from something simple and to the point into flamebait...

Learn2Mod

EDIT:Fixd

Give randomizer a break, he's new to this.
Maybe the EU will end up owning Chysler heheh, then all the rest of the countries can fine them for making a car that no one buys, and for trying to push it on people heheh

With this, you could see the writing on the wall. If Intel is fined, I just hope we get the finalized version as to why, so then maybe itd be easier to draw conclusions about it

jennyh

Splendid

Yes you know why that is? It's because it wouldn't actually be that far from the truth.

Jeez do you conspiracy theorists actually believe that intel is being picked on by practically all of the worlds governments for no reason?

Randomizer are you even aware that the lawsuits against intel in the US are about to start? Who are you going to blame then? Maybe the US needs some recession bailout cash?

jennyh

Splendid

New or not Jaydee there is no excuse for changing the title of another posters thread just because you don't like what it says. People don't mind it when the other posters have their opinions but when mods start abusing their powers that's when it all goes to hell.

While I mainly agree with you, randomizer is new to this. Im sure it wont happen as easily again, without more thought. I didnt see the original Post , and it doesnt seem to be flame bait, or incorrect, and I see your point.
I agree the EU is somewhat arrogant, and typically politically led, and knows nothing about business as well, but as i said, let us see their findings , if a fines levied, and go from there.
If Intel has done some grievous things, then those married to Intel will just have to suck it up, on the other hand, if its just frivolous political maneuvering, then shame on the EU. I dont trust either one, actually, tho itd be nicer to see Intel taking the higher ground, and us knowing the EU for the politicians they are.
I think the problem is, either Intel is as good as some people hope, or they cheated their way to take back the crown ad nauseum, whichever it is, this should at least define it somewhat more