Intel could face largest ever European Union fine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Some see Intel as a great company that does its business as every business should, or would if they could business that way.
Others see Intel as stealing their market share by holding AMD back illegally, by doing what these findings are here to prove, one way or another.
I dont hold much weight for the Korean findings, or the Japanese findings either, as the penalties were small. But if the EU clobbers Intel with something huge, it has to be seen as carrying more weight for several reasons, like adding up all three Intel failures to stop these findings, and the size of the fine to name a few.
At this point, who knows how its going to turn out. I believe if Intel is indeed exonerated in the EU, the other 2 findings carry no weight whatsoever

archibael

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Thing is, the EU finding is likely going to be contested in court. So even if a fine is levied, we'll have to wait years to find out what real, actual judges think about it rather than an administrative commission.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
I have a hard time imagining a company that provides (arguably) both equal to inferior performance and price/performance consistantly holding >75% market share doing it honestly. But we shall see what we shall see. And it's difficult to feel sympathetic towards them, being Chipzilla and all. But I'm not sure I'd like to see them get raped, either.

PS

WTF, Randomizer? I'm surprised you haven't had your moderator privileges revoked. You're there to prevent flame wars and such!

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Its called manufacturing capacity restrains (on AMD's part) and vastly superior marketing effort (on Intel's part). Aside from that, IMO the main reason why AMD only controls a fraction of what Intel has is because its management consistently lacks vision for the future.

Currently, Intel has unarguably superior performance, and comparable price/performance everywhere except the extreme high end. In fact, the only period recently where this wasn't the case was a period when Intel was pushing the P4 architecture.

randomizer

Champion
There, I changed it back for the falsely pedantic. Interestingly, I "started" a flame war by taking the focus off Intel, rather than putting focus on it :lol: It's amazing that fanboys can degrade a topic no matter what it's about.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Well yes, cjl, I know that. I'm talking about AMD's glory days, in the Athlon 64 era - which I believe is what this lawsuit is about.

To Randomizer, you can't possibly have imagined that you were contributing by changing the title. The origional title was a perfectly neutral statement of fact, not some rabid fanboyism or antagonism.

randomizer

Champion
The sad part is they aren't doing it for the consumer, just themselves. Remember the "N" editions of Windows (heh... I'm using one)? I'm sure the consumer benefits greatly by not having Windows Media Player installed. :sarcastic: Too bad the sales of those editions didn't go too well, but at least the EU won another lawsuit.

I'm sure Intel, being the large corporation that they are, are not completely "moral" in their business dealings. However, it should be up to the US to fine US companies, not the EU. The EU are like the RIAA, always on everybody's back and nobody likes them. The difference is that the EU win, whereas the RIAA get counter-sued. :lol:

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
You, my friend, have no idea. Have you ever heard of the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal? If you can get them to hear your case, the accused must pay for an elaborite investigation, as well as all legal fees, even if he wins. And in all of history, only one person has ever one, and only because he smuggled a tape recorder into an 'interview' and released it to the Internet. They most recently made McDonalds pay a year's salary + $80,000 damages to a woman who was let go, after being paid a year of disability leave, when she developed a skin condition preventing her from *washing her hands*. Apparently, that violated her human right to be dirty while preparing food.

Oh, and they also demanded McDonalds "Change their discriminatory hiring and buisness practices to accomodate employees with such medical conditions." Apparently, that outweights our rights to CLEAN FOOD.

</off-topic rant>

randomizer

Champion
I haven't heard that case but it does sound typical of the crap that goes on. I only hear what's reported on the Internet (assuming I read it). After all, I'm on the other side of the world where news is always 3 days late and if it's not about Australia then it's about the US and rarely anywhere else. :p

Just like governments have a lotto for gamblers, it seems O' Canada also has one for workers too!!! If they select you for "their" case, then youre sure to win big mooooney
As for the case, true, itll be years, but maybe at least we will get more info on what Intel did, and be able to decide for ourselves just how "guilty" Intel is

Actually it could be far from the truth. Problem is that we as the little people do not have anything else but AMDs lawyers saying its true. And the sad thing is that lawyers don't make the big bucks in stating the whole truth. They make it in bending the truth to their side. No matter who they are representing, Intel or AMD. And unless you can actually cough up the actual evidence that proves everything to be 100% true then you best not talk as if you do know.

And yes I do think the other world governments would pick on a American company. Hell MS is being tagged by just as many countries and was recently banned from Cuba for being an American company, although funniest thing is they still use AMD/Intel CPUs which are a American company and are using their own customized Linux which was also done by an American. The world doesn't like the US and mostly because they hate that they cannot be as successful. Thats why they find anything they can throw at us and trash talk. Well except Australia so far. They seem to not give a crap about anything outside their own country, much like it should be anyways.

The lawsuits all around the world have been started by AMD. the EU is just jumping on the wagon to get themselves some extra cash they can throw in their pockets. The sad thing is that most of that money will never make it into AMDs hands. And the fine will be fore something stupid instead of the actual charges.

You know there is a big difference between a fine and actual charges being set by a court, right? Unlike the US a lot of other countries go based off of guilty until proven innocent. Which sucks but meh.

I always have and always will admit that A64 was awesome. It was the better CPU. But as said many times before, since AMD was always the underdog and such a small company with limited FABs they couldn't produce enough CPUs to keep up with the demand. nd not the demand for those CPUs but also the demand for new PCs. That era was a boom in the PC market. It went from a PC in every 1 out of say 3 homes to 2 PCs per home. Hell I have 4 right now, 2 as backups.

AMDs lacking of FABs and inability of being able to produce enoughchips to fit that demand was probably the biggets contributor to them not grabbing a massive amount of market share. If that wasn't there and then they didn't grab anymore market share than they did (went up to over 30% which was quite a jump for a 3-4 year period) then I would probably believe that it was all Intel holding them back.

But until there is deffinative proof about it that is 100% accurate and not changed, forged or any of the such I still will not belive it.

The rebates I couldn't care about personally. I mean a lot of companies sign into contracts with other companies for exclusivity all the time and give discounts for that product. Thats why McDonalds only serves Coke products as drinks.

AMD claiming Intel was selling their CPUs undercost without knowing the manufacturing cost is very questionable. That information is normally never released to public. As well as them claiming that they were paying companies to delay them is as well. Although in 2004 Dell decided on their own to not use AMD. I read a article on it. Was weird TBH but thats what it was.

But we shall see in the long run. The most important thing is this:

The cake is and always will be a lie.