Question Intel CPU speed not turbo boosting during gameplay.

SSSalo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2016
This is about to drive me crazy. I have an intel i7-6700HQ cpu paired with 960m. I have been having performance issues with this for the last 2 years since its a fairly old laptop 3-4years and im not expecting it to run witcher 3 with ultra settings but i have issues with even osrs this thing can not keep steady 60+fps in almost anything(Im only expecting to get this fps from games that i meet the recommanded reqs of). A week ago i tried to boot the laptop and met with black screen with cursor being able to move. No matter how many times i closed/reopened the pc it wouldnt help so i figured i would send it to tech. It came back and they said there was some sort of virus that even prevented bios from opening so the pc was wiped everything gone fresh install. Now as it stands my cpu's speed is 2.6 but with turbo technology it goes to 3.4 before the full wipe of data i was able to play games with turboboost activated so i would have 3.2ghz speed during gameplay. Now as it stands im using the same games the same windows10 ultra performance battery mode but the damn thing is sitting around 2.6-2.9 but when the games are not running it stays 3.2-3.4

Short version; Laptop could play games with turboboost steady at 3.2ghz cpu speed. Had to fresh install the entire pc now while playing the same games with same battery mode its staying 2.6-2.9.

Im struggling to get 60+ frames with the lowest possible settings on even Overwatch its very frustrating.

Help is much appriciated please excuse my grammer mistakes and such english isnt my native language.

SSSalo

Honorable
Aug 7, 2016
What are your cpu and gpu temps in games?
I suspect the laptop is dusty causing throttling and causing slowed performance.

Well my laptop has a turbo fan thingy so if i press FN+1 it ll start blowing like crazy and my temps will be around 60-70 if i dont activate the turbo fan it ll be around 80-85. From what i heard anything around 60-70C was alright isnt that the case?

Latest posts