Intel CPU turbo boost problem

Jan 26, 2019
I have a problem with turbo boost in my notebook MSI GE70 2PE Apache Pro. There is Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ.

Boost is working on speed about 3,3 GHz(it should be 3,5), when idle, but when it needs more performance, the speed is reduced to basic speed 2,5 GHz.

I know it's high temperature and I already cleaned up everything, exchanged a thermal paste on CPU, set power management to high performance, bought cooling pad, but still the speed jumps from 3,3 to 2,5 GHz.

Any ideas how to solve it?

Note: Notebook is old about 3-4 years, maybe that's the problem..

Jan 26, 2019
Temperature during full performance(100% CPU) jumps from 77 to 97°C, 98 was max. Always the same way, for example 77°C - 3,3GHz, then 88°C - 3,3 GHz and 97°C - speed is reduced to 2,5 GHz. While idle, temperature is about 63°C.

I know that temperature is high, but I didn't have this problem before. Turbo boost has always been on and this problem takes maybe half a year.

The problem is the temps are too high. The temps might not have been as hot before. I don't know what temp turbo goes off but I believe it's 95c for that cpu. The hsf doesn't get perfectly cleaned like new and you might have been just hovering right below the edge before. The ge70 has overheating issues and there's not much you can do about a poor design. Everyone reported similar temps and overheating throttling issues even when it was new. Some people have just turned down max processor state in power management so it doesn't overheat. Lower the room temp as much as you can. Taking the bottom panel off may help if you don't mind the dust getting in. There's not many choices to cool it down.