Intel Creates $300 Million Fund to Make Ultrabooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya, so intel invests $300M in other companies and takes a portion of the rights of all of their patents and work, and likely forces them into a contract to use only their processors for the next 5-10 years... Good investment, but lets not try to pass it off as charity.

oneblackened

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]chick0n[/nom]innovation ? what did Intel invent for the past 30 yrs really.[/citation]
Let's see...
Out of order processing
The x86 architecture (x86 starts with the 286 - the more basic form of the 8086 was not fully developed x86)
Unified L2$ on dual cores
SMT (ie, hyper threading)

It's not like those are important or anything.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Clearly, Intel is very worried about AMD's amazing new product, the APU which combines a CPU and GPU on one chip. Thanks to this technological breakthrough, gaming laptops are available for around $500-$600 that outperform and utterly destroy all competition anywhere near this price point.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
For example Best Buy has an Asus K53TA-BBR6 laptop for $449.99 and free store pickup. It has an AMD Quad-Core A6-3400M APU and actually has a dedicated 1GB AMD Radeon 6650 graphics card, making it about as powerful as a superior laptop containing the more powerful A8 APU.

Prince_Porter

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
More importantly, was it chocolate or regular milk?

In all seriousness, I don't see this "ultrabook" thing taking off. I think they're putting too much faith in the product. The pitch is weak, being thin and consuming less power isn't "innovation", it's expected for laptops as they grow. I think they'll sell fine as thin, powerful laptops, but trying to pass them off as a new product is just silly.

[citation][nom]mikenygmail[/nom]Now that was a very fast response, how much is Intel paying you?[/citation]

I actually agree with him about that... Intel doesn't care about AMD as a company. With moves like this one, they can just step over them and pass by to the next competitor. Why compete when you can just buy customers and OEMs (or sue them, lol)?

Cheers!

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
With Centrino they offered support on product designs and gave cash bonuses to companies that came up with great designs. This will likely follow in those same footsteps because they proved that system works. they are investing $300 Million in vendor services to ensure that their newest product gains prominence.

evo_7

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]With Centrino they offered support on product designs and gave cash bonuses to companies that came up with great designs. This will likely follow in those same footsteps because they proved that system works. they are investing $300 Million in vendor services to ensure that their newest product gains prominence.[/citation]

I'd have to agree but I'd also point out Intel got in huge trouble with anti-trust lawsuits in the US and Europe over rebates for using their chipset. I can see this as a more creative step in that direction as companies don't have to pay more into R&D and I won't doubt much of the R&D will center on intel chipsets solely.

While I understand the majority of people do basic computer tasks, this drive towards slim, mobility is like the SUV in the US; its a huge fad of a trend and paying twice as much for portability and 1/3 versus your lightweight laptops just reinforces this idea that the ultraportables are "trendy" thing. I like my Toshiba Protege thank you.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
So is this Intel using their money to make OEMs use its products exclusively again? I thought they already agreed with AMD to stop their underhanded, anti-competitive tricks. AMD was stupid to believe Intel will play fair.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Call it MacIntel & call it a day, with their thunderbolt, mSATA SSD, Mac Logo & Intel Inside, yada-yada-yada. Let everybody else play Win/ARM/AMD-APU/Nvidia-Tegra/Linux/Games/Choice/Freedom/Value/Etc

[citation][nom]lutel[/nom]I hope they will go back to 4:3 screen ratio, which was perfect for development and web browsing.[/citation]
I'd like that too. I would much rather have a little more vertical space to work in.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
They want to cash in on the move toward small tabletlike devices while still selling something to the person who needs more than just a tablet. They probably also want to get these on the market before AMD's process technology catches up to a point to make them competitive in the tiny device space. The smaller you make it, the bigger Intel's advantage.

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
"new segment that the chip giant believes will be 40 percent of the consumer laptop market segment by the end of 2012"

there is no way that could happen. I think that whole turnover of laptops is much less than 40% every 15 months.... and ultrabook is not even released yet, so they will have like a year to gain 40% market share..good luck with that guys

jungleboogiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
I had purchased a Sumsung, which was very slim and close to what the Air was at the time. It wasn't cheap, but I wanted something small and portable. The thing performs great, but it runs hot, the fan has started getting very noisy and the screen is dying (not an NVidia issue.) It left me wondering if reliability is the tradeoff for small. Granted, these new ultra-mobiles will be two generations of laptops later, but I've been left with an uneasy feeling about ultra-portables. A $1600 laptop should last longer than 2 years.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]oneblackened[/nom]Let's see...Out of order processingThe x86 architecture (x86 starts with the 286 - the more basic form of the 8086 was not fully developed x86)Unified L2$ on dual coresSMT (ie, hyper threading)It's not like those are important or anything.[/citation]
OOO was developed by IBM 2 years before intel implemented it
x86 is currently used as Intel's stranglehold on the market as a modern cpu can't be made without owning rights. Its also used to "borrow" from AMD anything that AMD innovates to the cpu market
unified l2 cache isn't exactly innovative

Intel innovates by spending money and ocasionally developing something new themselves. Mostly buy buying patents or letting someone else do the work. This 300M incentive is just publicized proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.