Intel Cuts CPU Shipments by 2M, Motherboard Makers May Suffer - Report

wownwow

Commendable
Aug 30, 2017
Being able to keep about the same revenue as the Q3 with a reduction of 2M units, what a $ printing machine Intel is!

While I prefer Intel's processors, this just means that I am going to recommend people consider AMD instead. The performance difference is not that far off even in a best case for Intel (lower max thread count operations, such as gaming). And for other tasks which are highly parallel or in scenarios where users like to run a lot of apps at once, AMD is just plain better.

They were just entering their shortage stage, now they are fully plague by it, and it might be in effect for almost a year. Analyst are saying that PC hardware sales might be impacted by it...

Guess what, AMD is right there and they offer the best bang for the bucks. It's their fault for not diversifying and promoting their portfolio.

Well, it is really hard to recommend a CPU that is 30-50% above the MSRP. It doesn't matter which company it is, it is plain absurdity.

The other absurd thing is the industry not selling the other product, that is on sale, available and competitive.

mike8vettese

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
I am glad mine is in the mail on my way to me now. I am glad I didn't listen to the people when they said do not pre-order. I already waited an extra few weeks. But yeah, when they say Intel has a shortage people don't realize the percentage they already had sent out. Every company has their lag period. Intel finally hit theirs after many many years. AMD can shine for a little while.

s1mon7

Reputable
Oct 3, 2018
There has never been a time like today to buy an AMD chip. Or Zen 2, since Intel will still be under the shortage then.

BonScott

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
The Mafia Semiconductor company known as Intel is busy defending their castle and LOSING. The rest of supply is low priorty. I don't care what Intel's boos say, Most profits are Servers, and they are in trouble.

Cloud orders are more than half of all servers, Amazon alone is 26% of Cloud. This Analyst close to Amazon says they are going to achieve much higher margins on their Cloud business over the next four years. Now that could have anything to do with Epyc and Rome SUPERIOR TCO could it?

https://www.barrons.com/articles/amazon-to-see-soaring-profits-from-cloud-computing-evercore-says-1542217697

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181106005598/en/AWS-Introduces-New-Amazon-EC2-Instances-Featuring

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Clearly, they just reallocated production capacity to higher-margin products. That's how it works.

The best case scenario for intel is AVX heavy software like y-cruncher where intel is "not that far off" just 85% faster,even if you shrug that one result off, intel is still 40 to 50 % faster in software that coveres every computing area that is relevant for home users.
An these results are at stock with the CPU confined to 95W TDP as one can see by the 9700k being faster at some results because it can boost higher due to fewer threads.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/9
y-cruncher 85%
3dpm 53%
lux opencl 48%
pov 37%
handbrake hevc 48%
7zip 1805 43%
winrar 54%
WOT 95th 53%
Ashes 95th 44%

Yeah,there is a reason why intel's CPUs are always sold out while AMD is slashing prices and still nobody wants them.

This. Yes, Intel is faster at most "home" type things, like games, and poorly-threaded productivity applications. The difference, however, is not large, and may even disappear in some cases (e.g. high-end gaming, where the GPU is the bottleneck). And, how much difference does it make?
There are no longer any bad [current] CPUs, just bad prices; right now Intel's prices should be making many (if not most, but not all) buyers take a serious look at AMD.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
AMD is not better than Intel at multithreading. They are better when comparing at a price point because you can get more cores at a lower price vs Intel. Comparing 6 core to 6 core or 8 core to 8 core, Intel performs better across the board on both low thread count applications and highly threaded applications.

Giroro

Splendid
It will be nice to see more low-end prebuilt desktops use Ryzen APUs.
It will raise the bar for gaming when the mass market has a basic console-like GPU instead of Intel's integrated garbage.

akamateau

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
This reduction in desktop silicon shipped will also hit nVidia pretty hard as well. The attachment rate of nVidia GPU's is virtually 100%. Very little NVDA GPU's ship with AMD. If Intel is cutting shipments then NVDA is loosing sockets to put GPU's in.

AMD is also gaining desktop market share against Intel and off course AMD silicon almost always ships with Radeon. AMD is also gaining share on nVidia.

cmi86

Distinguished
How do all you 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th generation Intel "they don't have to innovate" fanbois feel now ?? Intel hit a grand slam with SB and then rested on their laurels and sandbagged innovation and development because idiots like you people continued to gladly gobble up CPU's with >5% IPC gains generation after generation and pad their profit margin regardless. I honestly can't blame people for buying them at the time because there was really no competition, but to defend and justify it as so many did and still do is a completely different story entirely. Now Intel is stuck on 14nm+++++++++++ with no clear path to 10nm in the near future or at all really and will likely end up abandoning the process entirely and starting from scratch. All of this while AMD is well on track if not ahead of schedule on the 7nm node for 2019.. As far as I am concerned Intel has hardly even countered 1st gen Ryzen with little more than a glorified paper launch as the 14nm process is so tapped out that 8th and 9th gen chips have suffered from massive production, availability and subsequently cost issues. Intel threw every last ditch trick they had laying around to try and make it look like they had effectively countered Ryzen, but their dated fab can't keep up and they haven't countered a damn thing. In reality Intel has done little more than delay the inevitable with a smoke screen of CPU's that they can't even really produce in any kind of effective way.. What are they going to do when AMD launches 7nm 8c/16t desktop SKU's sporting 4+ Ghz base clocks and likely sub 65w TDP's pricing in between i5's and i7's in a handful of months ?? Right now, it looks like not a damn thing is what they are going to do... Good, serves em right and their fanbois...

cmi86

Distinguished
"Yeah,there is a reason why intel's CPUs are always sold out while AMD is slashing prices and still nobody wants them."

Yeah, there is a reason and It's simply called having a process and fab that can actually keep up production with consumer demand and not having to price gouge clueless fanbois on extremely limited stock.. Intel's 8th and 9th gen products being chronically sold out is not a good thing at all, but your enduring elitist attitude on the matter perfectly illustrates why Intel is in that position to begin with.. Too bad for you, and many others like you that are still too drunk on the blue kool-aid to ever realize it, and likely never will before it's too late, if it already isn't, which it probably is..

Looks like Intel is running scared of the AMD server CPUs so they are pushing their server chip production to keep their prices from rising to much. Trying to keep shortages in their server line from helping AMD getting its foot in the door. Unfortunately for many in the computer business the time of year they make their profit for the year is the 4th quarter. So Intel is really kicking those business in the chips. We may see some companies merge or go out of business over the Intel manufacturing problems.

eltouristo

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
wow indeed. I'd recently read Intel was investing in increase fab capacity. But this announcement seems counter to that. Or maybe if they really are increasing, it won't be producing until later, but that makes no sense..how long does it take to bring it online? And, even if yields are exceptionally low, it's not clear that it wouldn't be profitable to increase capacity anyway (given the demand and the MSRPs). Obviously, there is more to the story that we seem to be getting.

I believe it takes years to bring a fab online. After the building is up and equipment installed, they need to be so perfectly clean they make operating theatres look like garbage dumps; I can't imagine that doesn't take some time.
It does look more and more like Intel was caught napping. Their R&D budget is huge, so I don't doubt their ability to "catch up," but see my point above; it will take time, and they will hurt during that time.

cmi86

Distinguished
I don't even think Intel is at the point with 10nm where they are even thinking about scaling up production fabs. The 1.7B "Fab 42" plant in Chandler AZ has been sitting abandoned since it was built in 2011 and the seemingly endless struggles with 10nm over the years are very well documented. I personally believe it is more likely that intel has something else in the works than we ever see 10nm within a timeframe where it is still viable.

akamateau

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

Perhaps you would care to provide FACTS from LINKS that support your DELUSION? AMD is selling 2 to 1 over Intel in the desktop space, they are gaining serious share in servers with EPYC all while Intel FAILED with it's 10nm FAB and can not meet demand for desktop procesors to the point where they expect to be 2 million units SHORT!

Intel doesn't sell out, INTEL FUMBLED and can't produce. So much for YOUR INTEL FANBOY WUNDERFABS!!!