Intel D845GERGv2 mobo w/P4 3.06GHz CPU?

libove

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I plugged in a (Socket 478, uFCPGA) P4 3.06GHz CPU (SL77p) to an Intel D845GERGv2 motherboard, last published BIOS (P17). The system boots, Windows recognizes that the CPU is a 3.06GHz CPU, BUT the BIOS sets the CPU to run at 1.6GHz, and speed tests show that it really is running at 1.6GHz.
Any guidance on how to get either the BIOS to clock this CPU properly at 3.06GHz, or to have Windows / some Windows program kick the CPU up to its rated speed despite the BIOS?
Thanks!

libove

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Ghislaing asks "Is it officially supported by your motherboard?"

It is a little difficult to say.

The Intel web page regarding this motherboard series does show a 3.06GHz P4 CPU, 533MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache, as being supported, with BIOS version P09 or newer. This motherboard has the final BIOS released, version P17.

The problem then with answering the question "is this CPU supported" is that there are several variations of 3.06GHz P4 CPUs (various steppings), and Intel's web page about the motherboard does not mention steppings at all - only the CPU speed, FSB speed, and cache size.

So, "maybe".

Certainly, the CPU is electrically compatible, because the system boots and runs Windows fine - it just runs the CPU which it correctly identifies as 3.06GHz, incorrectly at 1.6GHz actual speed.

Did you try setting the ratio and the bus speed manually? What does the BIOS detect for that CPU (ratio and bus speed)? Since the SL77P is a mobile CPU, it might not be fully supported by your motherboard. In particular make sure that the voltage is correct in the BIOS.

libove

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I looked for manual ratio and bus speed settings in the BIOS; this BIOS appears to not offer those options. The motherboard is an Intel-branded desktop motherboard, not an overclocker friendly model.

libove

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I do appreciate your help, ghislaing. However, I had been hoping for hacked BIOS versions, hidden BIOS screens, something beyond "read the manual", which I've done countless times in the thirty years I've been playing with and hacking computers...

Nobody else? Nobody who has hacked a BIOS version which will work with this motherboard and add manual control over clocking the CPU?
Thank you,
Jay

gamingcs

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007

Do you still have it ?