Intel Debuts New Atom System-on-Chip Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
So, I see the clockspeed isn't getting any faster, and I haven't heard of any architectural changes to the Atom core, so.... are these any faster than the Atoms of 2 years ago? I guess they're going after the tablet market, where they feel their old Atom can compete with ARM.

knownballer

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
This has been bugging me for some time now: what's the difference between a soc and amd's apu? They they say the apu is a fully intergrated gpu but it still looks like a soc to me. Am I missing something? Tom's can you guys do an article on the differences between amd's upcoming apu, the cell processor and soc architectures like arm.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
[citation][nom]knownballer[/nom]This has been bugging me for some time now: what's the difference between a soc and amd's apu? They they say the apu is a fully intergrated gpu but it still looks like a soc to me. Am I missing something? Tom's can you guys do an article on the differences between amd's upcoming apu, the cell processor and soc architectures like arm.[/citation]

Agreed, I second this, I would really like to know the fundamental difference.

G

SoC is somewhat nebulous. It just means it's a highly integrated chip with 3-4 or more of CPU, GPU, 3D acceleration, video decode/encode, IO (USB, PCI, and/or other), RAM, ROM, etc... I think to really be considered a SoC you would want at least CPU, GPU, ROM, and IO.

G

erm come on peeps, system on a chip is what it sounds like, it more or less a complete system on a chip with the memory/external storage/bus connector/CPU/display functions integrated into a single package for instance with a SoC you can wire connection from the chip directly to a USB port without the need for a controller board inbetween

an APU is just another way to addressee an integrated CPU and GPU, it allows you to ask the APU to do something and let the chip decide whether to offload to GPGPU or CPU

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Quite power hungry SoC when compared to the sub-1W of Tegra 2 and other upcoming ARM multicore cortex9 design. But at least it's getting there.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Well ultimately it should lead to more affordable electronics, but since the netbook segment is already saturated the resulting -- lighter / thinner / longer battery life -- netbooks will most likely cost more; however, The Tablet market is still growing.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
The target of bobcat is somewhat different than these as that has TDP of 9W as the lowest. These are targeted at taking some a piece of market share from the all-dominating ARM chips in this segment but they still use far too much power for being successful at that.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I can't understand why they're still marketing atoms. From the very first atom years ago the performance was less in power/watt than their core2's, and were overall slow. Terribly slow. 2 years later there are such minute performance increases you'd think there was an ulterior motive. Intel is the leading CPU manufacturer in the world. you would think they could make something newer and better by now.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]cyrusfox[/nom]Agreed, I second this, I would really like to know the fundamental difference.[/citation]

To add more confusion, the next step after APU might be ClPU (Cloud Processing Unit). LOL

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]saturnus[/nom]The target of bobcat is somewhat different than these as that has TDP of 9W as the lowest. These are targeted at taking some a piece of market share from the all-dominating ARM chips in this segment but they still use far too much power for being successful at that.[/citation]
you are wrong, bobcat cores are in the 18TDP zacate APU, bobcat cores are going to be used in the Bulldozer also i beleive, the llano will include redesigned Phenom II CPUS to compete with the note book market, the phenom II would own the Core i7M in notebooks

G

I wonder which companies are going to create a platform upgradeable with multi N550 processors?

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]lashton[/nom]you are wrong, bobcat cores are in the 18TDP zacate APU, bobcat cores are going to be used in the Bulldozer also i beleive, the llano will include redesigned Phenom II CPUS to compete with the note book market, the phenom II would own the Core i7M in notebooks[/citation]

No. Bobcat will come in two flavours, Ontario and Zacate, both are based on the same bobcat core design and will be 9W TDP and 18W TDP respectively.

The Llano is the Phemon III upgrade with a built-in mid-level GPU. Bulldozer is a completely reworked cpu, designed to compete with iCore7s and above.

ares1214

Splendid
So my guess is bobcat is gonna crush this in performance, but this blows it out of the water as far as power consumption. But at this energy envelope, i think id rather have the extra performance instead.

tu_illegalamigo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
The atom is still not impressive. ARM has the market locked, and intel isn`t making enough progress. Especially with the new a15 coming down the pipeline, intel loses at RISC.

Status
Not open for further replies.