News Intel Debuts 'World's Fastest SSD,' the PCIe 4.0 Optane SSD P5800X

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
I picked up the 900p when it came out. Random 4k read tested about 1/5 as fast as a ramdisk in crystaldiskmark and 5x as fast as fastest nand. The ramdisk theoretically should have been faster, maybe my cpu is holding it back - 2400c10, 5775c oc. Also the filesystem (which will hopefully start to get bypassed more by stuff like directstorage) is leashing drive performance to cpu performance. I don't see that much of a difference over sata nand in everyday tasks.

This new drive will be even closer to ramdisk in performance. And until modern software takes advantage of it, you will notice the improvement in everyday tasks even less. I hope directstorage comes with an optane setting.

Reactions: Makaveli

cirdecus

Distinguished
I've had a similar experience, although I can tell there's a difference with daily tasks. I have the 905p 1.5TB now and just replaced a set of PCIe 4.0 Sabrent rockt m.2's in a RAID0. It feels like night and day honestly. I was shocked. This has to be the future of storage. I'm still using the m.2 drives for other shared media storage, but in terms of applications and games, this is amazing tech.

Jim90

Distinguished
Would love to see QD1 (much, much more significant to the average user) being brought down significantly across all manufacturers. Optane is an improvement, but a damn expensive one.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Would love to see QD1 (much, much more significant to the average user) being brought down significantly across all manufacturers. Optane is an improvement, but a damn expensive one.
Its a media limitation NAND vs Optane and nothing NAND can do to bridge that (See Samsung ZNAND if you want to see the best NAND can do). I hear NAND backed with sufficient DRAM Tier may be able to simulate Optane performance, but would not have the endurance, but if that could be done cheap enough, likely doesn't matter.

Until Micron decides to release something for the consumer on 3d XPoint, or one of the other manufactureres gives a hint on what they have coming out for Storage class memory, Intel is the only game in town.

Jan 1, 2021
Disappointing....

"Intel debuts", except it doesn't, you can't buy this drive, neither has it been reviewed by third parties.

Talk to me when you have something I can actually buy.