Intel Demonstrates DirectX 12 at SIGGRAPH

Status
Not open for further replies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Quote:
"...with DirectX 12 turned on, the overall power draw is reduced..."

I do not get this from the graph at all. It looks to me like the overall power draw is the same between DX11 and DX12, but DX12 just directs more power to the GPU and less to the CPU.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
well... since intel is having a hand in dx12, i suposed we can assume there is a "if intel; else" series of switched built into it.

Supposedly the xbox one has something similar that will give the xbox one directX 12 with a firmware update to the system.

godfather666

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

I think that's because, according to the text, power is only reduced when the frame rate is capped. The graph doesn't show a capped frame rate.

edit: actually, the first chart here http://www.pcworld.com/article/2465211/intel-microsoft-promise-directx-12-could-halve-pc-graphics-power-draw.html
confirms what I said. It shows a 50% reduction in power. I'm sure that's a bit of a best case scenario, but that's still mighty impressive, I think.

hannibal

Distinguished
Also remember that Mantle is most useful with APU. If you have fast CPU and fast GPU the benefits from DX12 are also quite small!
The DX12 is a good news to anyone who don't have separate graphic card to all else it gives much less. But as we have seen from Mantle, even high end systems get 3-6% more speed and it is not bad at all!
So using Intel build in GPU in these test is good choice because it is the system that benefits most from these close to metal programming.
Not sure if we could see some really graphically demanding games, then closer to metal programming could also be more useful in high end system. But if games are not made for Xbox360 and PS3 and maybe even to Xbox one and PS4 the games are not going to be very demanding in the near future.

voltagetoe

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
Why name it DX 12 ?! Why not just 11.1 as it's just a miniscule update that doesn't even require new hardware... Is this microsoft's money grabbing tactics (via bubble) to get people into Windows 9 ?

Obviously, if there is no improved visuals or tools, gamers wont care. And since gamers are the only consumers that buy new PCs before their previous one is gone dead, this is an ad from a desperate company.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Why name it DX 12 ?! Why not just 11.1 as it's just a miniscule update that doesn't even require new hardware... Is this microsoft's money grabbing tactics (via bubble) to get people into Windows 9 ?
DireftX 12 will be used as a selling point for Windows 9.
The power saving and efficiency improvements are improvements everyone can benefit from, not just power users. More efficiency always benefits everyone.
DirectX 11 is part of Windows 7
DirectX 11.1 is part of Windows 8
DirectX 11.2 is part of Windows 8.1

eldragon0

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
"Why not just 11.1", Really? Adding proper and supported multi-core rendering is the biggest thing to happen since sliced bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS