News Intel Details Meteor Lake's AI Acceleration for PCs, VPU Unit

InvalidError

Titan
That ML IO tile looks like a busy little bit of silicon with all of the SoC IO, two E-cores and some AI firepower. Throw in an Xe core or two, then it could run light loads with the CPU and GPU tiles staying in power-down state.

Reactions: bit_user
They had a working prototype on display as well, via WCCFTECH news outlet. An AI demo on a 16-core MTL SKU.

Looking at this screenshot we can see that this is a 16 core product, although this is not fully confirmed.

If earlier leaks are to be believed than this is likely the 6+8+2 configuration of P(Main)+E(Main)+E(SoC) cores that we have seen before. From what I can tell, there appears to be a total of 22 threads visible to the OS, which kind of makes sense because only the P cores are hyper threaded.

CPU was idling at 370 MHz. The base clock shown appears to be 3.1 GHz. Intel VPU is detected as "Movidius" by the OS.

Intel-NPU-Exclusive-Computex-2023-2-1456x680.jpg

Intel-Meteor-Lake-S-CPU-Exclusive-Computex-2023-1456x680.jpg

Reactions: bit_user

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
"...and AMD have already forged ahead with powerful AI acceleration engines built right into their silicon"

Is there an article demonstrating AMD's powerful AI acceleratoion engine on a laptop at Computex?

Matt_ogu812

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
I have to wonder with all this market hype about 'A'l that it will become nothing more than a marketing tool to sell everything and anything.
The word 'Turbo' comes to mind as an example. Turbo action fan, Turbo whitening detergent, Turbo speed credit approval.........you get the idea.
'New And Improved Formula'........I just had to include this one.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
All signs currently point to the Meteor Lake desktop PC chips being limited to comparatively lower-end Core i3 and Core i5 models rated for conservative 35W and 65W power envelopes
I think the latest rumor is that the desktop Meteor Lake has been completely cancelled.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have to wonder with all this market hype about 'A'l that it will become nothing more than a marketing tool to sell everything and anything.
The article has slides that give some examples of where it's providing real benefits. Look in the middle of the second album.

The way you know a product claiming to use AI isn't simply an empty marketing claim is that it actually runs faster and more efficiently on hardware capable of accelerating AI inferencing.

Reactions: Matt_ogu812