Intel Details Mobile 6-Core Coffee Lake Core i9s & Mainstream CPUs With Iris Plus Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelegbn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2015
Why does Intel's i9 CPU lacks vPro support? Does this mean it wont support Intel's hardware based virtualization technology [VT-x, VT-d]?

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
i7-8850H (9M cache, 6 Cores, 12 Threads, 2.60 GHz)

$395

i7-8750H (9M cache, 6 Cores, 12 Threads, 2.20 GHz)

$395

I wonder what the purpose of pricing these two CPUs the same is? Unless this is a typo.

Dosflores

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Please welcome another messy Intel branding strategy: Core i5+, Core i7+, etc. The + sign means that the PC includes some kind of Optane product.

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
How to sell a CPU For nearly 200% than normally, intel style:

- make it "mobile"

- call it i9 even if it has same stats as i7-8700k

= profit

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Hopefully these new 6-core CPUs find their way into a 2-in-1 tablet PC like the Yoga 730. I'm always irked when I see these capable products relegated to gamer systems.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Enough of this tiny eDRAM nonsense - I want to see what a 72 EU HD Graphics (GT4) GPU can do with 4 GB of HBM2!

Sure, it's not going to be equivalent to a 24 CU Vega, which has 3x as many floating point ALUs, but it should still offer tangible benefits over the tiny eDRAM and would free up DDR4 for exclusive use by the CPU.

As for the CPU, I really like what Intel has been doing with Coffee Lake: high boost for lightly-threaded workloads, and lots of cores for heavily-threaded ones.

alextheblue

Distinguished
I think you pretty much summed it up... bigger die size, more power, higher cost, would not remotely compete with their G series chips with 20-24 CU Vega.

They'll eventually build something like this, but not until their own graphics are competitive.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Yeah, but I think it'd be interesting to see what HD Graphics can do when not hamstrung by DDR4. eDRAM helps, but only so much.

My intuition says it's not as efficient as GCN (beyond merely being smaller), but Intel does have a better process node and scores surprisingly well on OpenCL compute workloads.

Clamyboy74

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
How to screw people over intel style
*Release 7700hq and 7820hk*
*Release i5 8300h with the same cores*
*Laugh while people buy the i7 because branding*

Giroro

Splendid
So no hardware fixes for Spectre/Meltdown yet? Intel promised fixed "8th-gen" processors this year, so this entire product line will be going obsolete within a few months.

logainofhades

Titan

I don't want i7 because of branding. I want i7 because 6c/12t.

The 45 watt TDP means that's probably not going to happen. I believe the current Yogas use up to 15 watt processors. They would likely need to significantly limit performance to get one of these down around 15 watts. I wouldn't expect 6-core processors to be a good fit for such thin and light devices until 10nm processors come out.

The reason such processors appear in gaming systems is because those tend to be larger, allowing for more substantial cooling systems and higher capacity batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.