Intel DG33FB Mobo, can't get 8 GB of Memory to work

ranger90

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I bought this motherboard, and also 8 Gig of memory.

DDR2 800 Memory modules. 4- 2GB modules.

Corsair memory from Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184

Anyway. I put all 4 sticks in, and continued the build. When I powered it up the first time, lights on the case came on, and the LED on the mobo lit up, cpu and case fan started spinning (and continued to spin). But I didn't get any response on the monitor. Not even the intro information the display adapter puts out. After much trial an error, I finally decided to remove all the memory and start adding it one stick at a time.

After installing the first stick, I got the normal POST.
After adding the second stick (also in blue slot per instructions) normal post.
After adding 3rd stick.. Nothing.
And of course after 4th stick... nothing.

I thought I had bad memory. I removed the two known good sticks, and put the other two sticks in the blue slots. Power up and POST OK.

So the memory sticks are all good.

I have absolutely no plans on overclocking. And besides I am still in the initial building stages.

All the documentation says the mobo supports 8Gig. The docs talked about timing for the memory, and this memory is the 5-5-5 timings.

So...

1. Has anybody gotten this mobo to run 8Gig.
2. What memory are you using, part #/link is wanted. I am more than happy to spend the bucks on new memory if I'm sure the memory will run. But I'm not going to blow a couple hundred on "this memory should work."

Thanks,

johnolulu

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I had the same problem with the same motherboard, I updated the bios and now I can use 6gb of ram, but when I put the other 2 my pc wont load windows, It keeps rebooting.

If you solve this problem please let me know.

Checking the Intel website:

1.8 V (only) DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts
Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction: Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported.
8 GB maximum total system memory using DDR2 667 or DDR2 800 DIMMs
Minimum total system memory: 512 MB
Non-ECC DIMMs
Serial Presence Detect
DDR2 800 or DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM DIMMs
DDR2 667 SIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 (tCL-tRCD-tRP)
DDR2 800 SIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 (tCL-tRCD-tRP)

There's a list of modules which are supposed to work on the same page:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg33fb/sb/CS-026593.htm