Intel DG33M06 Motherboard to ASRock B75M Upgrading..

Waverunn0r

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I'm upgrading my system to a i5 3570k processor. I needed a new motherboard and chose the B75M to go with. My question is if the factory hardware from the Inspirion 545 will work with the new motherboard that I will be getting. I'm mainly concerned about the hdd not working

The system is a bit modified from what it use to be. Here is what I currently have added:
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 560ti
PSU: Thermaltake TR2-600nl2nh
8 gb of RAM
The asus motherboard says EuP/ErP ready power supply is required but I can't find that on my current psu. I'm also unsure on what type of ram I added. The inspirion motherboard says ddr2 memory but the new one takes ddr3. Would there be any way to identify my current ram I installed?

Solution
unless you plan to get a Z77 board sometime in the very near future, or that 3570K is the cheapest & only IB i5 available to you, don't bother spending so much on an unlocked K CPU when you're matching it with a non-OCable board. and if you're not planning to overclock, stick to that B75M and get a cheaper IB i5. you're not going to see a whole lot of performance drop going with the cheaper alternative that's 0.3-0.4ghz slower, for $30-40 less.

the G33 motherboard supports up to DDR3-1066, but it's better you take the steps to identify what you currently have. try a program called "Speccy". personally though, i'd spent a bit for a new pair of DDR3-1600 ram, though sticking with the DDR3-1066 if you have them till you can afford new ram...

Hazle

Distinguished
unless you plan to get a Z77 board sometime in the very near future, or that 3570K is the cheapest & only IB i5 available to you, don't bother spending so much on an unlocked K CPU when you're matching it with a non-OCable board. and if you're not planning to overclock, stick to that B75M and get a cheaper IB i5. you're not going to see a whole lot of performance drop going with the cheaper alternative that's 0.3-0.4ghz slower, for $30-40 less.

the G33 motherboard supports up to DDR3-1066, but it's better you take the steps to identify what you currently have. try a program called "Speccy". personally though, i'd spent a bit for a new pair of DDR3-1600 ram, though sticking with the DDR3-1066 if you have them till you can afford new ram is a viable option.

i would seriously consider getting a new PSU along with the upgrade as well, as Thermaltake's TR2 is not a highly trusted and recommended one; http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

i'd also look into spending on an OS, if you got Windows 7 installed, and you don't have a retail installation disc. you're gonna need to install a new one as it's tied to your motherboard, not your HDD. alternatively, if you got the OEM installation discs, you can contact MS support and use your current Windows 7 product key by simply explaining you're doing an upgrade on your motherboard.

i'd consider backing up your hard drive before making the upgrade, seeing as you'll be needing to reinstall the OS. i'm going to assume it's a SATA HDD, so it should work with your upgrade. otherwise... well, more spending. as for the rest of the hardware, like the front panel ports, card reader and whatnot, it's a matter of downloading or backing up the drivers.

a lot to consider there, and over spending on a 3570K and pointlessly pairing it with a B75 board is not the wisest way to tackle it, not unless you can spend more easily.

Solution

Waverunn0r

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

Thank you!

I'm going to stay with the power supply as I've had it and will get a new one if something goes wrong in the upgrade. I decided to get the non-overclocked processor per your suggestion and ended up saving some $30 with the reduced cost and 15% discount Newegg had going on. I also went ahead and saved the frustration and just bought the retail version of windows 7. I never even thought about that, so thank you. My HDD is a SATA II 1 TB right now, and I will be getting a new one at some point.

Thanks for your help!