News Intel Disables TSX for More CPUs via Microcode Ups

linuxdude

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2015
This is really embarassing - Intel simply disables functionality, customers explicitly paid for (TSX is only available in the higher "grade" chips / enterprise chips - and deliberatly fused off in the cheaper entry-level products). So you paid tons of money for an i7 and whoops, one of the features used for product differentiation is simply turned off.

ry138

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Very interesting, I realize the 8th gen CPU's are included, but I wonder if this microcode update will allow for 6th and 7th gen support in Windows 11?

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
I am confused, why is this needed as the article states, "the company released microcode updates to address the flaw in October 2018. " so if the microcode from Oct18 fixed it why turn it off 3 years later?

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
My GOD! I simply cannot and will not tolerate the loss of TSX!!!!!!!!
(Which I had never heard of prior to this article, and, cannot yet list a single app that would be affected!) :)
LOL. I felt the same when the Spectre/Meltdown fixes were put into place. Headlines painted a dire picture of large decreases in performance and THUD nothing seemed to change a bit. Even the most affected server pronouncements of doom failed to occur once programmers worked on the performance dips. (Here is where I expect some posters to fling some charts from the old performance hits from S/M back in 2019 without any mitigations that have been implemented since). There may be some changes here or there, but compared to going from, say, a hard drive to SSD, these are unnoticeable blips.

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
LOL. I felt the same when the Spectre/Meltdown fixes were put into place. Headlines painted a dire picture of large decreases in performance and THUD nothing seemed to change a bit. Even the most affected server pronouncements of doom failed to occur once programmers worked on the performance dips. (Here is where I expect some posters to fling some charts from the old performance hits from S/M back in 2019 without any mitigations that have been implemented since). There may be some changes here or there, but compared to going from, say, a hard drive to SSD, these are unnoticeable blips.

Agreed but those minor blips are amplified in benchmarking CPU's when everyone is determining who is better, AMD or Intel.