Intel Discontinues Core+ i7-8700, i5-8400, i5-8500 Models

Paul Andrew

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Intel optane is good enough for desktop.

When you service this on laptop is huge pain in the ass for real. Im working on major retail business.

Most these model were written off or returned due to this bs optane memory cache

popatim

Titan
I remember when they were announced but did not foresee any demand for them and still don't. Just build with an SSD and there is Zero need for an Optane cache drive.

Keep in mind that these only work in New systems; who the heck is going to pay the extra for an Optane to go along with a harddrive instead of just getting an SSD to begin with.
500Gb is under $80...
250 is under 40 and good enough for most business purposes.

Paul Andrew

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016

Exactly conventional m.2 ssd is way better. Ill take 128gb m.2 ssd rather than this optane+hhd

Its just bs marketing

Nov 14, 2018
If they had made it compatible with Z170 chipsets and 6th gen processors, which are old in 2018, Optane would've been more popular.

Also, the bundles were for non K processors. Big mistake.

Paul Andrew

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016

They had that idea before 14nm. And release it on 7th gen for marketing. Intel could have just embeded it to the mainboard and might could actually win. 7th gen chipset to mount optane ffs? Smh.

mischon123

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
Intel has no captain and Intel people are desorientated. Weird products, weirder pricing, weirdest roadmap ever. Lisa Su negotiating already?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Optane that size only benefits slow hdd systems as cache, optane benchmarks nicely but translates into very little true benefits in most real world scenarios over an good M2 drive (got an 900P and only seen tangible benefits over for instance m2 970 pro when doing bazillion sub-ops query's). Perhaps some day we will have software that truly can take advantage of the optane (both os/app level) but as it stands it's sadly more of an benchmark buster than real world buster

supremelaw

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
It appears to me that the initial "cached" Optanes were a loss-leader, to help Intel test the latest Optanes which combine 3D XPoint with QLC Nand. Nevertheless, without having their expense sheets in front of me, I suspect Intel had to spend much more money and far more time finishing the R&D, than originally projected. And, when that R&D was finally finished, Intel could have launched with drop-in replacements for 2.5" NVMe SSDs, and followed immediately with drop-in replacements for M.2 NVMe SSDs with adequate storage capacity. Those two form factors were already in widespread use worldwide. The 16GB and 32GB M.2s were B-A-D out of the gate, in part because they only used x2 PCIe 3.0 lanes = another BIG mistake. Meanwhile, Samsung stayed way out front, with superior price/performance proven in both form factors. Optane's faster latency did NOT justify the higher prices, which Intel demanded evidently to speed recovery of their massive R&D investment to reach market. Just my 2 cents, FWIW. Intel might increase demand by 40% if it reduced prices by 20%, but they won't know how "elastic" Optane prices will be, unless they try.

supremelaw

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Then, there was the "dangle the dongle" disaster with Intel's VROC implementation. With so many x16 add-in cards becoming available, with room for four M.2 SSDs, Intel's implementation promised a 50% reduction in speed, due to Optane's x2 interface, and a massive reduction in capacity compared to other M.2 drives. Did you say you also wanted a "bootable" 4x4 add-in card? Sorry, but VROC dongles were as rare a hen's teeth. By way of apples-to-apples comparisons, look at the combo of an ASRock Ultra Quad M.2 add-in card with 4 x Samsung 970 Pro SSDs installed in an AMD X399 motherboard. No dongle required. No restrictions to certain M.2 brands. Free software from AMD's website. Bleeding-edge experts demonstrating two such add-in cards in high-end ASUS motherboards. Does Intel believe we're all stupid out here?

InvalidError

Titan

Isn't that one of the purposes for which Intel marketed Optane for in the first place? Enable people and SIs to put less RAM in their system by relying on Optane as a very fast swapfile? Almost certain I remember Intel having demos for this specific use-case.

popatim

Titan

What OEM's are doing to 'fool' users is advertising a PC as having say 12GB of ram but if you delve into the specs its really 4gb of ram with an 8gb Optane drive. And since the Optane is only used to cache the HDD and not available to programs its borderline false advertising and you get people wondering why their program that needs 8gb won't work...

Different products, what we have now is total crap ssd replacements with marginal benefit,the Optane Memory DIMMs is where it's all gonna be at.
The CPU will have direct access to anything stored on the optane drive so it will basically see it as memory,no need anymore to copy things off the drive and into memory for the CPU to process it.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-optane-persistent-memory-dimms,37150.html
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9GL1AvNzc1NTczL29yaWdpbmFsLzA0LkpQRw==