Intel Displays 512GB Optane DC Persistent Memory DIMMs

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Based upon the standard 3D XPoint package density, it appears the 512GB modules have 640GB of total capacity."

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates. Well apparently it isn't actually true, but the "640GB" did bring a smile to my face.

Intel has a patent on X-point so unless Intel releases a "skull" version I wouldn't expect these to come in RGB, and doubtful they'll come from Corsair anytime soon. Intel isn't big on licensing their tech.

Yes, I saw the /s I'm just being an arse on the internet.

Considering how many technologies in computers these days had Intel highly involved I wouldn't doubt that this will eventually become a more open standard for consumers and have DIMMs provided by other companies like Corsair, Kingston etc.

Still this is the first step to having a more all in one system that has something vastly faster than even M.2 or PCIe SSDs can provide. Most mainstream CPUs currently push 35GB/s in bandwidth with top end being in HEDT with 60-65GB/s. Plus have 4 512GB modules and assign 128GB to memory and the rest to storage. Or imagine if they push into the TB per stick or more. It is exciting as storage has always been a massive bottleneck. Of course this will then push software to being the major bottleneck that will need to be written to take advantage of it but man imagine how fast things will load.

Gh0stWalker

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
These NVDIMMS (?) would be great to become the next OS boot drive. Especially for older quad channel motherboards with some spare DIMM slots, but no provision for say 2280 etc nvSSD. But I don't fancy my chances with this even though Intel could sell millions of them - they will want the whole box and dice upgrade, processor/motherboard/ram etc... Maybe if the trade war with China heats up we can go to Alibaba and get some cheap and cheerful knockoffs! The market abhors a vacuum after all, and a controlled market is not efficient... Maybe the FTA between TPP states (sans 'murica) will negate the exchange rate and sales tax extortions too. Geeez I love true competition in a true free market :)

papality

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
"Intel isn't sharing specific endurance specifications, but did say that the modules would be sufficient for the "expected lifecycle." Intel wouldn't confirm the length of the expected lifecycle, or if heavier workloads would adversely impact the endurance rating. "

So we can pretty safely assume it's low enough that it would be alarming if they announced it publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.