[SOLVED] Intel DQ77KB Radeon GPU (all GPU in general on that motherboard)

Sep 27, 2020
Hello,

i would like to ask if any of you experienced problems with certains gpus on certain motherboards - like nvidia working and amd not or other way around? Here is the thing - i have this motherboard Intel DQ77KB in aio pc, and im doing a little project with it - basically i want to cram an gpu there in pcie x4 slot with special cable. And:

1. When i plug in my nvidia gtx 750 ti - computers starts, it boots into windows, but i get error 12 - not enough resources, need to turn off some devices - is it because i have intel wifi card in one of mini pcie slots? (I could do an dsdt override and make big memory allocation just like for egpu)

2. When i plug in my radeon rx 560 it just shows black screen - nothing on lcd, external monitor (plugged into gpu or motherboard) - it just halts boot or something - like it was not supported. I teseted that radeon on different system and it works ok

I have an 0038 bios version - i know its old, but update is last resort for me, because later versions of bioses have shrinked list of supported cpus (no more support for cpus witch tdp exceeds 65w).

Any ideas? Could video bios on radeon be the cultprit?

Solution
Hello after a while, status update - i manage to make my rx 560 work, but i had to update bios, and also change cpu to i7 3770s instead of 3770. But it works now. But another problem arise - how to manually add boot option, and is that even possible? I looked for this option, but i only can change boot order

You can't... if the drive is detected it will appear as a boot option. If not, it won't. All you can do is change the boot order.
The PCIe 3.0 X4 slot on that motherboard will only provide 25W maximum from the manual:

40gdAyV.jpg

Usually the PCIe slots on a full fledged motherboard will provide up to 75W.
Simply put your RX 560 needs more power and the motherboard isn't providing because of its 25W PCIe slot limitations. That's why you get a black screen.

This is the reason why with your 750ti you get that error in windows aswell. The most power efficient 750ti models will still draw 55-60W at full load which is again too much.

Your only chance is to get a more power efficient card like a GT 1030 that has a maximum TDP of 30W.

Sep 27, 2020
That would be true, but in my case im using this:

https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/4000692849147.html?spm=a2g17.12010612.8148356.4.66124fe8YYnsKm

version PW - with additional power cable that provides additional power into pcie slot. I already saw error 12 case - like i said it could be resolved with dsdt and big memory region. But i want to use radeon rx 560 for that project but when i plug it in - no image. With 750 ti image works. I just need to make rx 560 to work and boot into windows, the rest i can handle

And also some people reported to use more hungry gpus, for example here:

View: https://old.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/62ptwx/is_my_sffpc_good_enough_to_join_your_ranks/

Looks like a dodgy adapter to me.
If the RX560 works fine on the other system, that means that it's not the problem.

Even if the wifi adapter takes PCIe lanes there's no reason why you wouldn't get a display. It will reduce the bandwidth for the GPU sure, but it wouldn't result in your computer not POSTing.

I'm just curious, does your GTX 750ti work properly under a significant load?
Stress test with furmark or valley benchmark for ~30 mins and see if it's stable.

Sep 27, 2020
It wont properly work unless i fix error 12, but for now only matters is that with nvidia there is image and windows boots, with radeon there is no image and windows does not boot - it looks like bios halt or something. Im planning to try to reflash stock bios for rx 560, and if that does not help, i may have to update bios on motherboard, though as i was saying - only on last resort because of cpu support shrink

It wont properly work unless i fix error 12, but for now only matters is that with nvidia there is image and windows boots, with radeon there is no image and windows does not boot - it looks like bios halt or something. Im planning to try to reflash stock bios for rx 560, and if that does not help, i may have to update bios on motherboard, though as i was saying - only on last resort because of cpu support shrink

I don't see why you'd do a BIOS reflash... doesnt't the card have its stock vBios?
Updating the motherboard BIOS might be worth a try.

Also, why don't you just remove that intel wifi card and test the RX560 without it... instead of doubting that it might be the problem, I'd just take it out of the equation.

In my opinion the problem might be:
  1. That adapter cannot provide enough power to the GPU... a SATA power cable can only provide 54W maximum. RX 560 TDP is 75W
  2. The RX 560 doesn't bode well with that old Intel board.

Sep 27, 2020
54w + 25w from x4 slot equals 79w, plenty i believe. I will try without intel wifi card, thanks for suggestion. As for rx560 and old intel motherboard - that is what i cannot comprehend. People paired 2080ti with core 2 duo e8400 on lga 775 and it somehow worked, yet this does not.

54w + 25w from x4 slot equals 79w, plenty i believe. I will try without intel wifi card, thanks for suggestion. As for rx560 and old intel motherboard - that is what i cannot comprehend. People paired 2080ti with core 2 duo e8400 on lga 775 and it somehow worked, yet this does not.

I can tell you from experience that I've had compatibility issues with Pascal GPUs(GTX 10XX series) on LGA775 boards on quite a few occasions... the older 9xx, 7xx, etc. series still have legacy support while the newer NVIDIA GPUs do not.

From my knowledge RX 400 and 500 series from AMD REQUIRE UEFI motherboards and do not have legacy support for older boards aswell.

As I said before, if both GPUs work properly on other systems, most likely your problem is either the motherboard or that PCIe adapter.

EDIT: Your Intel DQ77KB does not appear to have UEFI support... there may be your problem.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020
Hello after a while, status update - i manage to make my rx 560 work, but i had to update bios, and also change cpu to i7 3770s instead of 3770. But it works now. But another problem arise - how to manually add boot option, and is that even possible? I looked for this option, but i only can change boot order

You can't... if the drive is detected it will appear as a boot option. If not, it won't. All you can do is change the boot order.

Solution