Intel Dual Processor Requirements...Intel RMA problems...

bc123

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
My boxed P4 D 830 (3.0 ghz 2MB/800 bus) began to die a few days ago. It always ran hot which is normal for the 1st gen Intel dualies but my box started crashing and I noticed the CPU was over 100C.

I was able to get it to run at about 65C by underclocking it to 1.5 ghz but I am getting a replacement.

So I call Intel expecting a nice easy call. The guy on the line eventually gave me an RMA but he also gave me a lot of crap when he found out that I didn't have an Intel approved case with an integrated heat pipe.

My system board runs at about 36C which is within the Intel thermal guidelines but because I didn't have a heat pipe sitting on top of the fan he was going to void my warranty.

I told him that when I purchased the boxed processor 6 months ago that nobody told me that was a requirement to use the processor. Their documentation (thank God I'm a pack rat and still had the boxed processor case and manual) says nothing about the processor requiring a heat pipe.

After a while he relented and said he would make a one time exception for me which while I appreciate it I am quite mad.

I bought a high-end dual processor that Intel knew had heat problems and spent the extra on a boxed version with a 3 year warranty and when it fails in less than 7 months (in a system that never exceeded the 38C system limit) I get crap for not knowing it had to be installed in a different case which became a requirement after I bought mine.

Anyway, they are going to replace mine but I was wondering if anyone else had problems like this with an Intel RMA.

pat

Expert
Or could simply tell him that you were getting an AMD since they dont get as hot and don't need any fancy cooler to operate..

Maybe you would have got a nice 9XX as replacement...

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I'm no expert on Intel Dual Core packaging, but I don't know of any requirement for a heat pipe. Intel stock coolers that usually ship with the 8xx is just a normal aluminum heat sink with a fan on top. The number of fins has increased for added surface area for the dual cores and the copper core is larger for better contact.

They should just look like these:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/04/05/the_pentium_d/page7.html

I have no idea what they mean by a heat pipe.

bc123

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
They directed me to here:

http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/cs-012526.htm

and here:

http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-008537.htm

Which describes what is needed to keep the case temp below 38C. With all the heat problems the Pentium D processors have had it makes sense that they would add it as a requirement because lots of folks are probably inadvertently burning out their CPU's.

I was just pissed that it burned out in less than 7 months and the support guy for making it sound like it was my fault that the processor bit the dust even though the case runs at about 36C.

bc123

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
:D I've already ordered a 930 as a replacement. Hopefully it will run a bit cooler than the 830. When I get the warranty 830 back it goes on ebay.

Trucker61

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2005
do the boards that support 8xx series even support the 9xx series? cause knowing Intel i wouldnt think they would? Intel's Socket370 for example - 3 diffrent revisions.

From what I have read about this most 945/955 boards will require a bios update to utilize the extra cache the 900 series chips have.

I have an Intel D945PVS board that currently has a 571J chip and I am planning on getting a 940 pressler for it, this was a concern of mine also.

pat

Expert
But anyway.. a CPU should be running that hot first, and cooling unit should be easy to install. One company has understood that, from past experience, the other didn't and make the same mistake that the other did at one time...

First socket 462(A) AMD were running hot. The HSF would occasionnaly break the CPU or cause it to overheat if wrongly installed. Later revision of the Socket A has lowered the thermal output, but the HSF installation problems were still there. Socket 754 introduced a new way to install cooler and later revision of the Athlon 64 run very cool... This is called improvement.

OTOS, Intel has great cooler and great CPU in the Northwood time.. Now, with thermal output nearing an oven and cooler that are not really the best for the task in term of installation, this is called regression.

I'm not going to get anything yet from Intel until they put out good performance, acceptable heat output(50-55C full load max) and good pricing.

bc123

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
After the PITA it took to get the new 930 and HSF unit seated properly I have a feeling you may be right. The temp on the 930 at idle is 38C and the motherboard is at 35C.

Quite a downturn in heat produced. Now I need something else to keep my feet warm this winter.

Teh_Catman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2005
Your only problem is going Intel. Of course they run hot, of course Intel has a bad RMA system, and even with a 65nm 9xx chip your still sucking more juice than you should.

Personal opinion only.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
That's pretty gay that they would blame you for not buying an aftermarket heatsink that wasn't absolute crap like the stock ones they give you. This is the absolute opposite of AMD-some of their stock heatsinks (particularly for high-end lines) are so well made with 4 heatpipes, copper and large surface area that they can be adequately compared with XP90C, which greatly enhanced overclocking capability as well. If I were you, I would send it back to whoever you got it from demanding a refund and switch to the X2 line as the price/performance/HEAT PROFILE totally blows away the 8XX and 9XX series. I've never dealt with AMD customer support (never had to, 3200 gets 25c on idle), but you should boycott Intel for that jerkoff who would blame you for the massive failure of the NetBurst architecture.

endyen

Splendid
Please be a little more discreat about what you post.
For example, I reduced the 640's CPU temp from 140 F.
to 100 F., simply by unlocking and re-locking each
fastener, while maintaining downward pressure
with my thumb on the fan housing above each
fastener. THAT WAS A CONCLUSIVE EXPERIMENT
This process should only be attempted with the mobo removed from the case, and on a surface that will give the board support. The pressure you suggest may cause damage to the motherboard, if it is in situe, inside the case.

pcrig

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I bought a high-end dual processor that Intel knew had heat problems and spent the extra on a boxed version with a 3 year warranty and when it fails in less than 7 months (in a system that never exceeded the 38C system limit) I get crap for not knowing it had to be installed in a different case which became a requirement after I bought mine.

SCREW INTEL, or they will SCREW YOU! [/]

Intels High End Dual Processor is a real JOKE!

Intel put two cores on a one socket platform, but it is NOT integrated DUAL core as AMD!

Rest is history!

Who the hell with present AMD technology would ever waste money on any INTEL ????

The megahertz Myth is over!

Lian Li PC 602 black
Enermax 600 W Eg 701 Noisetaker 24 pin
ASUS A8N SLI Premium (dual RAID - 8 SATA ports) 939 (with external extended 2 SATA ports))
Athlon 64 4800+ 2X (stock AMD fan GOOD enough!) 929
(2 x 512) PC3200 DDR400 OCZ 1024ELDCGE-K (2-2-2-5-1T @ 2.8 Volts) 184 pin
ASUS ATi X700-X PCI Express
Plextor PX-716 DVD +/_ RW
Plextor Premium CD RW
SB Audigy 4 PRO
Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
19" View Sonic LCD
LiteOn DVD 16 x
PROXIM AP 4000,
PROXIM PCI 802.11 a/b/g
8 x 250 GB Hitachi SATA 10 (300)
2 x 60 G PATA Western Digital (old stock)
(no floppy)
Zippy EL-715
Logitech Di noVo Desktop Bluetooth (laser)
HP LaserJet 4350TN
HP DeskJet 9680
(OS on each dedicated drive - booted by selected drive through the chage of boot drive in the BIOS )
LINUX Red Hat 9
Knoppix 4.02 on CD
Windows 200 PRO
WINDOWS XP PRO
(waiting for 64 bit VISTA)
IBM (LENOVO) notebook on 802.11 a/b/g
Nero 7.02B (NO to ROXIO!)

Other:
remote controled microwave oven powered by INTEL P4 chips

Intel put two cores on a one socket platform, but it is NOT integrated DUAL core as AMD!

Rest is history!

Who the hell with present AMD technology would ever waste money on any INTEL ????

Lian Li PC 602 black
ASUS A8N SLI Premium (dual RAID - 8 SATA ports) 939 (with external extended 2 SATA ports))
Plextor Premium CD RW
SB Audigy 4 PRO
Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
19" View Sonic LCD
LiteOn DVD 16 x
PROXIM AP 4000,
PROXIM PCI 802.11 a/b/g
(no floppy)
Zippy EL-715
HP LaserJet 4350TN
HP DeskJet 9680
(OS on each dedicated drive - booted by selected drive through the chage of boot drive in the BIOS )
LINUX Red Hat 9
Knoppix 4.02 on CD
Windows 200 PRO
WINDOWS XP PRO

Other:

FANBOY

Intel and AMD Dual core cpu's are pretty even with performance, theres no great lead by either, but Intel's 65nm chips once overclocked give a decent lead if anything! even on air!

If you want to pick on intel, how bout i pick on your AMD - how come AMD's "new" architecture (K8) still isnt more efficent or faster then Intels P4 and Pentium M? - the P4 matches AMD (close enough in reality - cant tell the diffrence between system side by side) and Intels Pentium M (and recently yonah) - a yonah clock for clock is about equal to a AMD A64 X2 with 1/3 the heat and power - makes AMD look bad there doesnt it!

The 65nm p4's and p-d's can, i know amds can (opterons are legends), i was just siht'd cause fanboy pcrig here had an amd up his ass sayin intels are crap - hell - they arnt as efficent as the current AMDs but there there and still compeditive.

I must have sounded like an intel fanboy to come to think bout it - far from it, my current system IS a P4c but that was cause the Athlon XP's were a touch slower and HT was too good to resist (that and i needed a decent rig for video encoding) - i get whats best for my needs at the time aswell as in my budget.

bc123

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
I did and I wanted the best performing processor I could afford for my needs. I also own a number of AMD systems.

For all those fanboys that want to push Intel or AMD off a cliff, go home and put some acne cream on as I don't want to get dragged into a discussion of which processor is better.

AMD's run cooler, Intel's have better performance in the areas I need. Please lets agree that people don't have to be fanatical to own a computer.

RichPLS

Champion
I did and I wanted the best performing processor I could afford for my needs. I also own a number of AMD systems.

For all those fanboys that want to push Intel or AMD off a cliff, go home and put some acne cream on as I don't want to get dragged into a discussion of which processor is better.

AMD's run cooler, Intel's have better performance in the areas I need. Please lets agree that people don't have to be fanatical to own a computer.

Here are some benchmarks of the Intel 670, a 3.8GHz CPU.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/print/pentium4-670.html

Compare it to my Opteron 175 at 2440MHz is a bit faster than the X2-4800 being compared, but is sure beat by Intel in this benchmark!

cons.png

But in this one, isnt it where Intel markets its products as being fastest?

winstone-1.png

It sure isn't 3Dmark05

3dmark05-3.png

I know, yeah, It is in multimedia creation that Intel dominates...

winstone-5.png

bc123

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
This is exactly what I didn't want to get dragged into. However for an equivalent prices dualie about $300 will get you an Athlon 64 x2 3800. For the Photoshop/video/audio editing and compression tasks I typically run the Pentium D 830/930 matches or beats the AMD offering in most tasks.

We can all pull benchmarks out that support our position. So thanks for your fanboy post.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
i think it's really just amd = gaming, intel = multimedia. rather simple, although there is more to it than that, they each have their disadvantages and their advantages but i support AMD for gaming but also because they support Linux :D

Rest is history!

Lian Li PC 602 black
Plextor Premium CD RW
SB Audigy 4 PRO
Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
19" View Sonic LCD
LiteOn DVD 16 x
PROXIM AP 4000,
PROXIM PCI 802.11 a/b/g
(no floppy)
Zippy EL-715
HP LaserJet 4350TN
HP DeskJet 9680
LINUX Red Hat 9
Knoppix 4.02 on CD
Windows 200 PRO
WINDOWS XP PRO

Other:

This post reminds me of someone... can't think of his name right now... but it's about the same level of intelligence. Posts like this do more to hurt AMD's cause than anything Intel could possibly come up with.

TRENDING THREADS