Question Intel DX79SR memory configuration question

walterb

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Hi,

I have an Intel DX79SR. 64GB Max. It has 8 memory slots, I have 4 slots filled with 8GB sticks DDR3.

I thought I could put two 32GB sticks in it, but that was a mistake. Apparently it only takes 8GB sticks.

So four empty slots, but two of those slots are covered with the Zelman Fan heatsink.

Question, can I put two more 8GB sticks in the remaining slots bringing the total to 48GB or do I need to double to 64GB?

thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have an Intel DX79SR. 64GB Max. It has 8 memory slots, I have 4 slots filled with 8GB sticks DDR3.

I thought I could put two 32GB sticks in it, but that was a mistake. Apparently it only takes 8GB sticks.

So four empty slots, but two of those slots are covered with the Zelman Fan heatsink.

Question, can I put two more 8GB sticks in the remaining slots bringing the total to 48GB or do I need to double to 64GB?

thanks in advance.
it's usually fine, since it takes quad channel, but ideally you would want to max them all XD

intel cpu X79 cpus could only take max 8gb per dimm.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's flex channel config. You'll have 32Gb of quad channel (if using all the blue slots) but the remaining 16Gb will be in dual channel. The cpu will use up the 32Gb quad first and only use the 16Gb dual channel if it must.

Also expect a slight rise in cpu temps, you are adding more work to the memory controller.

That's if it works. Mixing ram with quad channel in the mix is always a high amount of gamble, all it takes is 1 stick to have compatibility issues with 1 other stick, and the whole thing is bunk. 8x8Gb kits were extremely rare and extremely expensive, a lot more so than 2x 4x8Gb kits, just because of compatibility and factory guarantees.

walterb

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
That's flex channel config. You'll have 32Gb of quad channel (if using all the blue slots) but the remaining 16Gb will be in dual channel. The cpu will use up the 32Gb quad first and only use the 16Gb dual channel if it must.

Also expect a slight rise in cpu temps, you are adding more work to the memory controller.

That's if it works. Mixing ram with quad channel in the mix is always a high amount of gamble, all it takes is 1 stick to have compatibility issues with 1 other stick, and the whole thing is bunk. 8x8Gb kits were extremely rare and extremely expensive, a lot more so than 2x 4x8Gb kits, just because of compatibility and factory guarantees.

thanks, yes the black slots are the ones that are left. So do you suggest I try and load them up with 8GB sticks (found them for $40 for 2x8GB) or just call it a day and live with 32GB?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on your usage. If you are running programs that will use up anything close to 32Gb, it couldn't hurt to try, but if you are just gaming then you are already way ahead of the curve, most games don't encroach on 16Gb.

Mixing ram, you have 3 outcomes. It works, it works with tinkering, it doesn't work at all. Generally with 2 stick kits, they'll more often just work. But you have a quad channel kit, which changes the game and will more often than not put you into the 'works with tinkering' catagory. Tinkering can include anything from adding voltage to the system agent, vccio (memory controller voltages), cpu vcore, dram voltage, timings or even speeds.

It's one of those things where you need to weigh the consequences against the gains. Is the ram addition necessary vs how it's going to affect the performance as a whole.

Last edited:

walterb

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Depends on your usage. If you are running programs that will use up anything close to 32Gb, it couldn't hurt to try, but if you are just gaming then you are already way ahead of the curve, most games don't encroach on 16Gb.

Mixing ram, you have 3 outcomes. It works, it works with tinkering, it doesn't work at all. Generally with 2 stick kits, they'll more often just work. But you have a quad channel kit, which changes the game and will more often than not put you into the 'works with tinkering' catagory. Tinkering can include anything from adding voltage to the system agent, vccio (memory controller voltages), cpu vcore, dram voltage, timings or even speeds.

It's one of those things where you need to weigh the consequences against the gains. Is the ram addition necessary vs how it's going to affect the performance as a whole.

Its for audio production running a DAW and very large plugins /libraries.