Intel DZ68DB Ivy Bridge Support?

Aris1978

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Hello everybody!

Since I haven't found anywhere information about this , I would like to ask the following: Does anybody know if the Intel DZ68DB Media series motherboard will support the upcoming nm22 Ivy Bridge CPUs directly or through a BIOS Update?

Thank you very much in advance! :)

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Z68 chipsets will support ivy bridge but it will probably require a bios update. I'm sure compatibilities will vary based on manufacturer but I doubt we'll know how well each manufacturer's Z68 line works with ivy bridge until it actually comes out. I'm not the biggest expert, but this is my understanding.

Do you already own the Intel DZ68DB or are you considering buying one?

Aris1978

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Thank you very much for your reply! I am setting up a new system with an intel i5 and the Intel DZ68DB mobo is one of my first choices.Before buying i wanted to know if it has future support to offer, since i want the new system to last for at least a couple of years. Does Intel have a good reputation in supporting it's motherboards and chips in cases like this one?

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I don't know much about Intel's reputation in that sense. However I do know that Intel is not one of the leaders in Z68 motherboards. The current favorites in motherboard manufacturing are ASUS, ASRock, Gigabyte, and MSI - Intel is not in the same league with those. My favorites in that price range are the ASUS P8Z68-V LE for a general purpose computer, or the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 for gaming.

It's your money and you can spend it how you want of course, but that's how the various manufacturers are perceived these days.

Aris1978

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I am aware of that.But I kinda like the intel mobo because is simple,has good performance and stability,offers what i need.As a z68 chip based mobo of course i would like to know if there will be nm22 cpu support.If thats the case I would buy it now if not I would choose one of the above mentioned brands.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I did some research and it looks like we have no idea, really. Ivy Bridge will need ME8 firmware. I've found articles saying that all Z68 motherboards will be compatible, I've found articles that say some already have ME8 and some will simply need a bios update, and I've found articles saying that the only way any current Z68 board will ever support Ivy Bridge is with a firmware upgrade that can only be done by shipping the board back to the factory.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

Yeah, assuming Adolfo_Intel is correct then the motherboard you mentioned should be a bios flash away from Ivy Bridge. However that thread is from 2009 and the story has changed since then - even from Intel themselves. That was the difficulty I was having in my research.

Aris1978

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
No, it's not that Old! The posts in there are from September 2011. So I think it's kind of updated! I have stated a question in there, let's see if and what we get for an answer. :)

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Oh, haha, you're right. I was reading the dates under the names of the posters which I assume is the date they signed up. That's my fault - sorry about that.

Aris1978

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Seems that the Board is in the right direction. Intel doesn't give much details on this, but on a similar question about another 1155 Intel Motherboard the answer was the following and I think it applies to any 1155 socket motherboard out there now.

http://communities.intel.com/message/140030#140030

Re: DH67BLB3 support Ivy Bridge?

Hello,

The Intel Ivy Bridge’s next-gen processors with embedded graphics is about to be release during the 4th quarter of this year or during the2012 1st quarter. Intel is currently working on the final details before that date and of course there is a lot of expectation among: resolution, number of cores, micro-architecture and compatibility with boards already on the field with socket type 1155, unfortunately all the details are not available yet , but these information is about to be publish in the Intel official site or official press-release, so we might need to wait for a bit more for official information on this mater.