Intel e6400 core temperature over 85c

Shaga

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
Hello

I just build a new rig that contains Asus P5B mobo, intel core e6400 and Asus 7900 Geforce card.

After I booted for the first time I entered the bios and checked the settings. To my suprise it displayed the core temperature to be around 90c. System functioned normally though.

After some time I updated my bios and the temperature lowered to around 85c and has stayed there since. My mobo temperature is around 30c.

I tried removing/reinstalling the fan on the cpu but it didnt affect the temperatures at all. Oh and my case is Antec Sonata Piano II.

Another question is regarding the processor mhz. In bios it shows that the processor is running at 1,6ghz, I thought e6400 was around 2,13ghz?

Thanks in advance

Edit: There is no overclocking what-so-ever

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
The lowered clock speed, I believe has to do with speed stepping. Feature in the bios, and windows for power consumption when it is at idle.

For 85C temps.. man, heh I dunno. I've seen too many post about high temps.

I guess you should perhaps look into another 3rd party HSF, like:

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro

35-186-134-01.JPG

Shaga

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
True, but I tried to overclock my cpu just a little bit and it crashed my computer. When I tried to reboot I got an error saying "cpu temperature error". I had to put bios to default settings.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
That don't sound good.

It's very hard to say how those 775 socket HSF are properly seated.

I've read so many threads to where people keep trying and trying till finally they realise that one pin may not be secured, and wella.. temps are in the mid 30's to 40's.

In some threads they say they end up hearing a loud pop or crack, which I kinda find insane, and their temps are okay.

Shaga

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
Hmm, mayhaps I have to try reinstalling it again. As a dedicated Amd person Im not really used to these methods Intel uses on its fans.
I find them rather hard to install correctly.

I read the manual but I didnt quite understand what I should do to the four pins around the fan. I know I have to push them down like 1-3 and 2-4, but do I need to turn them around at all, they seem turnable to a point?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Thinking about it, the only manual I've seen (PDF) was MSI.

MSI CPU-Installation

LOL, I did this on another thread:

10. Align the holes on the mainboard with the
heatsink first. Push down the fan/heatsink until
its four clips get wedged into the holes of
the mainboard.
12. Turn over the mainboard to confirm that the clipends
are correctly inserted.

11. Press the four hooks down to fasten the fan.
Then rotate the locking switch (refer to the correct
direction marked on it) to lock the hooks.

Really hard to say if some people over look certain steps, but not all manuals are the same perhaps.

fjohn5068

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Ok I came on to ask if the core 2's ran hot cause my 6600 is about 41 degrees C and I thought that was running hot. You might want to see if the cooler is making complete contact with the chip and if the layer of thermal compound is touching the chip

Shaga

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
I would be happy if my cpu ran at 40c :)

But anyway, I tweaked the fan a bit and now bios shows 64-65 degrees c. I think I can live with it. I may have to replace the layer between the cpu and the fan at a later date and see, if it helps.

Thanks for all your help though.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
That was a nice find.

Is it possible people are not turning the pins in the right direction before pushing down?

Too bad they didn't show the incorrect way to install it. :lol:. o O (j/k!!)

afraga

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Hey,

I had the same problem as you. It all came down to the HSF not being properly installed. I bet 99% of ppl are the same.
The thing is that the HSF doesn't really let you know when it is not fully seated.

Try this and I bet you it will be fixed:
Take your mobo out, take the HSF out and put it back in.
When pressing it down to click, look under the motherboard and make sure you see BLACK pins coming out in between the 2 transparent pins. You need the black pins to go as far as the transparant pins. It will require some brute force, and that's why a lot of ppl are having problems...because you really have to push it hard until the end.
After you have all the 4 black pins leveled with their respective transparent pins, put the mobo back in the case and temps will be normal. I can almost guarantee you that!

Hope it helps!

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I found this on Intels website. It shows how to install the heatsink. It also shows how the latching mechanisms are supposed to be set. You know you have a good connection when you hear a plastic click. Always push the locking mechanisms down in opposite pairs. I do recommend what the other peopel have been saying to remove the board from the chassis to install the heatsink. Place board on a surface that is firm but soft. Don't try this on a hard surface. I find a 1/4 inch layer of closed or open cell foam on top of a hard countertop works the best.

Link to Intels Heatsink installation guide

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I found this on Intels website. It shows how to install the heatsink. It also shows how the latching mechanisms are supposed to be set. You know you have a good connection when you hear a plastic click. Always push the locking mechanisms down in opposite pairs. I do recommend what the other peopel have been saying to remove the board from the chassis to install the heatsink. Place board on a surface that is firm but soft. Don't try this on a hard surface. I find a 1/4 inch layer of closed or open cell foam on top of a hard countertop works the best.

Link to Intels Heatsink installation guide

Dude, look 3 posts above 8)

Invader

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I was getting 85C in CoreTemp with my E6300, while SpeedFan and Bios were reading 62C. I figured I had a faulty sensor or something, so ignored it for several weeks. I still bugged me so I re-checked my heatsink pins one last time and sure enough one was not snapped all the way in. I think the opposite one was popping out when I pushed the other one in.

I finally got them all seated properly and now my cpu temp is 39C at idle and up to about 47C after hours of gaming, more typical temps, I think.

wsbsteven

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I just purchased an E6400 and my idle temp is 30C and max load is 38C using burnintest pro. Nothing fancy, stock cooling, no special thermal paste. Cpu Rightmark clock utility says it's at 68C at idle but my finger and my laser thermometer agree with the Gigabyte utility.

kanati

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
I've got the same case and the same processor and mine idles at around 27 degrees. I've never seen it pass 40. All stock cooling with the rear 120mm fan set to low. There's definitely something wrong with you're set up. Have you tried up the RPM on that 120mm tri-cool fan? Are you measuring temperature in Fahrenheit or something?