Intel E8400 + Gigabyte X48-DS5 problems

neenishtarts

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
My computer is having problems. It is a newly built system, with most of the parts being new.

CPU: Intel E8400
CPU Cooling: Included fan
Motherboard: Gigabyte X48-DS5 ATX
RAM: 8GB Corsair Dominator 5-5-5-15 (4x2GB)
Graphics: MSI R4870 T2DIG
Sound Card:Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro
Hard Drive: 1 x 80GB Maxtor + 1 x 40GB Maxtor + 2 x 500GB Samsung
CD/DVD Drive: Pioneer BDR-202BK
Monitor: CMV 17"
Input: Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard + Logitech
Sound: Logitech X-530
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
Case: Custom

The two Maxtor drives were from my old computer, the 80GB drive being the main one which has Windows XP installed on it. The problem is, whenever I start it up, the computer goes up to the XP loading screen, goes for about 5 seconds, and dies.

Initially, it was restarting repeatedly, until it shut down. Waiting for a while, I started it up again and went to the temperature sensor in the BIOS. Idling, it was touching 90 degrees Celcius, and climbed from there up to about 120 degrees in under fifteen seconds, where it shut down. Fearing a burn, I didn't want to touch the processor. After just a minute, though, it was barely warm to the touch.

I tried again, unplugging the two Samsung drives, and once again, it got to the XP loading screen before shutting down. There was no 'blue screen of death' before shutdown in any of these occurrences.

I'm not sure whether the processor or the temperature sensor on the motherboard is faulty.

Any assistance or recommendations into solving the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Mondoman

Splendid
1) Remember, your old installation of Windows won't boot, because you've changed all the motherboard/CPU hardware. You need to do a fresh install of Windows so it can install the proper modules for your motherboard chipset, etc.
2) The Intel LGA775 4-push-pin design is a poor design, very easy to not-quite fully install. That would lead to the massive overheating you mention. Among other things, you need to install the CPU cooler *before you install the motherboard in the case* so that you can properly support the back of the MB with your hand as you push through the cooler mounting pins. You also need to visually verify that each of the 4 pins is all the way through. Other tips/cautions/instructions are here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/194385-31-part-assembly#t1184072
Note also that after removing the CPU cooler for re-installation, you will have to clean off the old thermal compound from the CPU and cooler, and apply a small amount of fresh compound (AS 5 is widely available at stores, but there are others).

neenishtarts

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Mondoman, I have tried your second suggestion, but the CPU temperature is still through the roof, and causing the computer to shut down after about fifteen seconds of operation.

However, a potentially good sign is that once it gets past the startup section, where it would boot XP, it says that a file is corrupt and to reinstall the file. Does this indicate that XP will need to be reinstalled?

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Yes. He already told you that you will need to reinstall windows since you switched boards. Before you even worry about installing the OS you need to fix the cooling. The cooler is NOT installed properly. Either one or more of the pins arent pushed through or you messed up the cooling paste or something.

When building a machine the OS comes last. First you put it together. Second power it on and see if it post and do a visual check to make sure all fans are working properly. Third is all the BIOS checks. Make sure the cpu is at a reasonable temp, proper clockspeed. The ram is at the correct speed/timings. If everything is as should be then install the OS. Then you can do all the finishing touches. Like cable management.

That is just a brief summary of stuff that a new builder should do.

neenishtarts

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Thanks for your advice.

I reinstalled the fan properly, after experimenting on my old MB, ensuring all of the pins were pushed through, however given that the fan was removed and then replaced a few times, I have ordered AS-5 as it is clear that the coolant grease has either been contaminated or accidentally wiped off the surface of the fan and/or CPU.

The AS-5 should be arriving tomorrow, and I will keep you posted as to whether this works.

Thanks again, neenishtarts

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Fearing a burn, I didn't want to touch the processor. After just a minute, though, it was barely warm to the touch.
How did you touch the processor with the 4-inch heatsink locked on top of it? The heatsink has 4 locking pins that can only be properly removed by squeezing the plastic tabs that have locked on the underside of the mobo. They are fairly tight, and it takes most people well over a minute to accomplish this after shutdown.

The fan consists of clear or black plastic spinning blades; the heatsink is the nonmoving aluminum finned metal underneath. The fan never needs any thermal grease. The top of the heatsink doesn't need any, either. Only the bottom, flat, solid portion that would touch the processor, and the processor itself, need coatings of fresh AS-5. Additionally, you should only clean old grease away with 90%+ isopropyl alcohol and lint-free paper towels or Q-tips. Never use plain water, and never reuse old grease or try to suck it back into the syringe.

What I'm mentioning is basic, but when reading your narration, I get this constant feeling there's a big miscommunication.

Mondoman

Splendid
neen, since you apparently missed my mention in my earlier post that you would have to apply fresh thermal compound *every* time, I would suggest that you read our posts/references much more carefully. I'm guessing that you probably didn't read my link about installing the CPU carefully enough, and missed something there. Another important consideration (mentioned in the link) is that you need to turn each of the 4 pins completely in the direction *opposite* to the arrow on top before pushing the pins through the MB. Also, remember that you will have to remove your MB from the computer case to properly reinstall the CPU cooler.

neenishtarts

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Firstly, to Wr, I read through the instruction manual of how to install the processor, and it has an easier way to uninstall the stock heatsink without squeezing the pins on the back of the board.

Secondly, to Mondoman, I checked the fan again and I still hadn't properly installed it. I re-read your article more carefully, and was able to properly install the fan.

Thirdly, it works! With the fresh application of AS-5, the CPU is idling at around 37 degrees Celcius, and I'm on the way to having XP fully installed. Thankyou for your advice in solving the issue, neen.

TRENDING THREADS