News Intel Enables ECC Memory on Consumer Alder Lake CPUs

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
What a joke... This wouldn't be an issue/topic if they never started segmenting the market in the first place...

"Abuse me daddy", much?

Regards.
lol, what are you complaining about ?

get the mobo/ chipset if you need ECC and be done with it

What's the alternative ? AMD ?

AMD side is wild wild west:
which mobo supports ECC ? hint they all run the same chipset, same bios but some you don' t get ECC
which chipset is supported for my next cpu ?
do I get full or beta support ?
is the vendor still putting out bios updates ?
fTPM agesa bug you say ? well you better have a supported chipset to get the fix

lol, what are you complaining about ?

get the mobo/ chipset if you need ECC and be done with it

What's the alternative ? AMD ?

AMD side is wild wild west:
which mobo supports ECC ? hint they all run the same chipset, same bios but some you don' t get ECC
which chipset is supported for my next cpu ?
do I get full or beta support ?
is the vendor still putting out bios updates ?
fTPM agesa bug you say ? well you better have a supported chipset to get the fix
Er... AMD motherboards using AM4 do support ECC, just FYI. The motherboard vendor just needs to enable it. This was like a super important feature that came with Zen1 motherboards back then and was kept all the way to Zen3. I hope they do keep the ECC support with AM5.

EDIT: Here you go:

Regards.

heickel.ramadhan

Reputable
Jan 10, 2019
Er... AMD motherboards using AM4 do support ECC, just FYI. The motherboard vendor just needs to enable it. This was like a super important feature that came with Zen1 motherboards back then and was kept all the way to Zen3. I hope they do keep the ECC support with AM5.

EDIT: Here you go:

Regards.
at the end of the day, a mobo without ECC support will not have ECC and u will need diffrent mobo for ECC support

nothing much changes from buyer perspective, in fact segmenting 1 chipset specially for ECC mean, all board named after that chipset is guaranteed have ECC support

at the end of the day, a mobo without ECC support will not have ECC and u will need diffrent mobo for ECC support

nothing much changes from buyer perspective, in fact segmenting 1 chipset specially for ECC mean, all board named after that chipset is guaranteed have ECC support
That is not the point. AMD is not forcing OEMs or AIBs to not support ECC in their boards. It is up to them. Intel does tell them what to do and punishes motherboard makers if they bypass anything they tell them not to do. There's plenty of examples of this, so I won't give you any myself, but I do have fond memories of the P45 chipset shenanigans.

Regards.

Nov 10, 2022
The specs on Intel's site states Intel W680 Chipset supports overclocking. From what I've read elsewhere, overclocking is supported with I9-12900k and W680 chipset.

Dec 10, 2022
The price of the Xeon processors was relative. You can't say you'll save money not buying Xeon because you have to buy an intel chipset, specifically the W680.
Entry level Xeons didn't cost much different to a regular CPU depending on when you bought them, unless you're talking about multi-socket processors.
Currently, I can see one W680 motherboard and it's over £600 in the UK.
The end user may save money if, and only if, intel passes the savings onto the board maker and the board maker passes that saving onto the end user
ECC DDR5 took some time to appear and currently it's £6.45 and £7.68 per GB for UDIMM and registered, respectively.
If I am recalling correctly, there was a time you could put an Xeon CPU in the same socket, with the chipset corresponding to the extreme edition CPUs, which supported ECC.
If anything, I think it'll be more expensive now to get ECC with an intel CPU.
Considering the longer lifespan of the AMD sockets and the price of the intel workstation chipset, it appears AMD is a bargain for the latest when it comes to ECC, starting at "only" £185 here in the UK