Question Intel Ethernet Adapter stopped working after I installed Linux

Apr 22, 2019
My Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V on my motherboard stopped working after I installed Linux. I installed Gentoo, but couldn't get the internet to work. After two days I give up and reinstall Windows. Now my Ethernet adapter doesn't work anymore. I've tried three different cables and even connected it directly to the modem. No luck. I've reinstalled the drivers serveral times and no luck. The Wifi still works, but I want to be hard wired. What could be wrong?

r3xA6OF.png

9t57V8h.png

dkg9NM9.png

Any solutions or advice will be greatly apprieciated.

Operating System: Windows 10
Ethernet Adapter: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Which motherboard do you have?

It's possible Win10 isn't recognising the network adapter and need to grab the driver from the motherboard's website. Usually Win10 is good with drivers for older hardware than itself but not really for newer hardware past it's hardware support. Try download driver on another computer and transport it via usb stick.

For Linux, a driver would have been required here also. Think you'd need to search your network adapter at Intel's website, not sure if they offer linux drivers though, have never tried.

Apr 22, 2019
Thanks for the reply! I have an Asus Maximus V Code motherboard

I have tried downloading the drivers and reinstalling/updating from the intel website but no luck. I’m honestly baffled by this since I’ve never encountered this problem after tweaking with Linux.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
oh ok, is it listed with an explanation mark in device manager or is it unable to obtain an ip address?

have you tried rebooting the router? Maybe try turn off both pc and router for 5mins or so to allow the router to renegotiate the computer.

Which Asus Maximus V motherboard? there are a few.

Apr 22, 2019
@boju

I apologize the motherboard is actually the "ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen) ATX DDR4 HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 Z390"

There is no exclamation mark in device manager. I have reset the router and modem, and the problem continues. As I mentioned this happened after the Linux install.