Question Intel Ethernet capped at 100mbs?

May 8, 2019
Hey all. My MB has two ethernet ports, a Killer port and an Intel port. I have a 1gb connection and when plugged into the Killer port that is what it shows. When plugged into the Intel port it shows a 100mb connection. This is over a cat7 cable. Is there some setting I need to change to use the Intel port? Thanks!

It is unlikely a setting but you can check. Be sure the setting in the ethernet speed/duplex setting is set to AUTO. If you set it to some fixed rate it gets confused because the router side is always on AUTO.

After that you suspect a bad cable. Cable are really strange when they fail. It would be nice it if they would just not work at all when they are bad. If say a pin was just barely making contact in the cable it would work on some machine and not other depending on how tollerant the machine was. These can also work at one speed for a while and then suddenly drop...many times because of temperature change causing metal to expand and changing the how well it contacts.

It is cheap to try another cable. You only need cat5e when you are running 1gbit ports. More expensive cable does not run any faster or better. Make sure that you get pure copper cable with wire size 22-24. There is massive amounts of fake cable being sold. Read the specs carefully and do not buy it if you can not confirm the stats. Pretty much anything that is cca or is flat or thin is fake cable.