Intel Ethernet Connection Link Speed

motrcolt

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
I recently got a new computer and it is working fine for me except for my internet speeds. On my old laptop using an ethernet cable I get speed tests from speedtest . net of 97 Mbps for download, however, for my new computer when using the same exact ethernet cable my download speed drops down to 3-4 Mbps. As such I'm pretty sure the problem is in the computer not the cable

I think I may have narrowed down the problem to my Intel Ethernet Connection Link Speed. I go to Device Manage > > Intel (R_ Ethernet Connection (2) 1219-V > Properties > Link Speed and find that it is set to Auto Negotiation with a Link Status of 10.00 Mbps Full Duplex (EEE:Not Negotiated).

I thought the simple fix would be to switch Speed and Duplex to 100 Mbps Full Duplex, however, I am finding that when I switch to this my computer will not even acknowledge that an ethernet cable is plugged into the computer. When I run diagnostic next to Speed and Duplex on my cable I get the results:

Cable Length Status : Passed
Cable Length: 255 meters

Cable polarity Status : Passed
Cable polarity normal.

Local Receiver Status : Passed

Remote Receiver Status : Passed

However when I switch to 100 Mbps Full Duplex or any other setting I get:

Cable Length Status : Failed
This adapter does not have link. Make
sure the cable is connected and the speed
and duplex settings are configured correctly
on the adapter and link partner.

Cable polarity Status : Failed
sure the cable is connected and the speed
and duplex settings are configured correctly
on the adapter and link partner.

Local Receiver Status : Failed
sure the cable is connected and the
speed and duplex settings are configured
correctly on the adapter and link partner.

Remote Receiver Status : Failed
sure the cable is connected and the
speed and duplex settings are configured
correctly on the adapter and link partner.

Any ideas what is causing this or what I can do to fix it?

Thanks for the help guys!

motrcolt

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

O shoot I didn't even notice that, but no thats not true its actually about 100 feet I'm not sure why it's saying that its 255 meters. But like I said above the same ethernet cable works on my laptop and gives me 97 Mbps download speed so I don't think the cable is the issue.

InvalidError

Titan
The three other things I can think of are:
1- defective adapter
2- intermittent cable defect
3- excessive noise between endpoint grounds - your laptop may have been mostly immune to this issue due to being isolated from ground if its AC adapter has a floating (non-grounded) output or you are running on battery.

Jun 21, 2018
The previous poster likely has it right. Assuming the cable and far end Ethernet port didn't go bad just then; the new Ethernet port isn't connecting to all 4 pairs in the cable. There are older standards that operate on 2 pairs at 10/100. Look inside the port with a good light for any damage. You should see 8 pins evenly spaced by a plastic comb with no obstruction. If that looks good you have a bad Ethernet adapter.

TRENDING THREADS