[SOLVED] Intel Extreme Board DZ77GA-70K not recognizing gpu.

Dec 11, 2019
I bought a system with this board in it, it seemed to work alright. I transferred all of the parts into a new case, and upgraded the gtx 560Ti it came with to a gtx 980. After solving a few other issues, it seems the mobo isn’t recognizing the graphics card. I tried it with the old graphics card, but nothing happened either. Basically the pc boots when hdmi is plugged into the mobo, running off of integrated graphics. But anything plugged into the gpu with send no signal. I don’t feel like a physically damaged anything while building, but I’m not sure. Please help! Thank you!

full specs

i7-3770
Intel Extreme Board DZ77GA-70K
Came with 560 Ti, but trying to use gtx 980
4x4gb Elpida Ram (don’t know speed)
High Power 600w (model: HPG-600ST-F12S)
1tb Wd Blue Hdd
Another 1.5tb hdd (seagate maybe?)
Phantek eclipse p300 case

Solution
And keep in mind, obviously we can't say with any certainty that the PSU is what is causing your issue, but with the PSU you have now, it's impossible to try and say that it is ANYTHING ELSE because it's just too much of a prime suspect given the lack of quality on High Power products.

This would be the least expensive unit I'd recommend as being even moderately reliable for use with a gaming card like the GTX 980. You want something with a 550w or higher capacity for that graphics card, minimum.

When it doubt, bookmark and reference THIS for future reference when you need to determine what capacity of power supply to pair with a given graphics card. Assume that it is correct if you are looking at quality units. Add about another...
You can start by getting a different power supply. One that might actually stand a chance of supporting either of those graphics cards. The one you have now, is probably struggling just to support the integrated graphics if we're being honest.

models that IN GENERAL should never be trusted OR USED AT ALL, under any circumstances.

One or two of these brands listed below MIGHT have a single model or two that are cut from a completely different mold than what that brand is known for, but overall, if they are listed below they are primarily known for selling just plain junk and in many cases, very dangerous junk that lacks adequate protections or cannot even manage to sustain a fraction of whatever rated capacity their products might indicate on the specifications label.

Acbell, A-Top, AK Power, Alpine, Apevia, Apex (Supercase/Allied), Artic, Ace, Aerocool (There might be one model worth using, but I'd still avoid them.), Aspire (Turbocase), Atadc, Atrix, Broadway com corp, Chieftech, Circle, CIT, Coolmax, Deer, Diablotek, Dynapower, Dynex, Eagletech, Enlight, Eurotech, Evo labs, EZ cool, Feedtek, Foxconn, G7, HEC/Compucase Orion, HEDY, High power, iBall, iStar computer co., Jeantec, JPac, Just PC, Kolink, LC Power, Linkworld electronics, Logisys, Macron, MSI, Njoy, NmediaPC, Norwood Micro (CompUSA), Okia, Powercool, Powmax, Pulsepower, Q-tec, Raidmax, Rave, Rocketfish, Segotep, SFC, Sharkoon, Shuttle, Skyhawk, Spire, Startech, Storm, Sumvision, Tesla, Trust, Ultra, Wintech, Winpower, Xilence (Until I see a reputable review of a model showing different), xTreme (Cyberpower), Youngbear and Zebronics

Dec 11, 2019
After I looked on pcpartpicker, it seems says the wattage is about 366, so around 400w. Would the thermal take 500w 80+ white certified be a good option? It’s on sale for $40 rn but I would want your opinion. This is all for a friend, and my main system is running the thermaltake 600w.

What country are you in Carl?

And keep in mind, obviously we can't say with any certainty that the PSU is what is causing your issue, but with the PSU you have now, it's impossible to try and say that it is ANYTHING ELSE because it's just too much of a prime suspect given the lack of quality on High Power products.

This would be the least expensive unit I'd recommend as being even moderately reliable for use with a gaming card like the GTX 980. You want something with a 550w or higher capacity for that graphics card, minimum.

When it doubt, bookmark and reference THIS for future reference when you need to determine what capacity of power supply to pair with a given graphics card. Assume that it is correct if you are looking at quality units. Add about another 100w if you are looking at mediocre middle of the road units. Don't use cheap units, at all, ever.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $51.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-15 18:21 EST-0500

Solution
Dec 11, 2019
So, Darkbreeze, I went to BestBuy to ask GeekSquad just for their opinion, the guy there said it was probably just to motherboard going bad. The motherboard was working with the 560 Ti before I built the pc, but now it works with no gpus. While he was checking device manager, an “unknown device” popped up. He tried to install drivers, but windows found none. When we restarted the pc, device manager no longer had an unknown device (the display driver was still intel he 4600 graphics cause it was running off of the mobo). So, I wanted to see your opinion on this. Do you agree with him and think the mobo is on it’s way out, even though it worked a month ago, or is the high power psu the source of my troubles?

Dec 11, 2019
One way I do have maybe diagnose this problem is to use a different mobo. I build my system a few months ago, and our old pc is sitting around with a known working mobo and i7-4770k. I could take out the mobo, put in that one, and test. I’m not sure, but what I think might be a way is if it works, then the psu isn’t an immediate threat (while still being something to replace soon), but if it doesn’t work, then the psu is probably the issue. Do you think this is a good way to figure it out?

Dec 11, 2019
Basically, after solving a couple other issues (I forgot to plug in the CMOS little yellow connector thingy), the mobo isn’t recognizing the gpu. I can boot to windows off of integrated graphics, but plugging anything into the gpu will result in no signal from the gpu. I bought this system used a month ago, where it worked alright (when I tested it to make sure it worked it took a couple of tries), but eventually it booted and worked every boot after that. It came with a gtx 560 Ti, but I decided to put it into a new case, only changing obviously the case and the gpu to a 980. It didn’t work after that when running off the gpu, and it even doesn’t work with the 560 Ti anymore. The fans on the gpu run, but no signal from it. The fans also run off only the pcie slot, while not plugged into the pci power supply cable. Now I have tested with the 980 and 560 Ti, and also with a 1050 Ti (doesn’t have any pci 6 pin slots, only powers from mobo slot), same story. I tried to update BIOS, but intel doesn’t offer any bios updates for this board. A guy on intel forums gave me an update link via usb, I tried it but it only updated to the same version, so nothing there. So that’s where I’m at rn.

Specs list
i7-3770
Intel Extreme Board DZ77GA-70K
Came with 560 Ti, but trying to use gtx 980
4x4gb Elpida Ram (don’t know speed)
High Power 600w (model: HPG-600ST-F12S)
1tb Wd Blue Hdd
Another 1.5tb hdd (seagate maybe?)
Phantek eclipse p300 case

Nothing you do is of any value, or importance really, until that High Power unit is out of the system and a unit that can be trusted as reliable and of sufficient capacity for the system is IN it. Until then, you are wasting your time, and chasing ghosts. And potentially putting your hardware at risk.

I wouldn't trust ANYBODY at Best Buy to install a case fan, much less make a determination regarding a core component or power supply. They are idiots, plain and simple. Being as I happen to know the managers for two Best Buy locations, and the people who work in those Geek Squad departments, first hand, I can tell you for certain that they shouldn't be trusted to screw in a light bulb much less make determinations about anybody's computer system or hardware. I'd like to say more, but I won't, because I'll just go off on a tangent about EXACTLY how fracking lame those folks actually are.

If you want to believe what they tell you, that is your business, but you are setting yourself up for a pile of trouble if you do.

Put a quality power supply in that system FIRST, then if the problem is not solved, which is likely will be but of course there is ALWAYS a chance of the issue being something else, at least then you will know FOR SURE that it is not the piece of crap power supply that is currently in there gasping for air like a county fair gold fish that's been dropped onto the sidewalk. Doing anything other than that is just a waste of time. If it doesn't fix the problem, THEN worry about other solutions knowing that you won't be following false leads due to a stump head PSU.

Dec 11, 2019
Ok lol. Thanks. Would this psu be a good option?

EVGA 600 GD 100-GD-0600-V1 600W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Non-Modular Active PFC Power Supply

It’s only $50 rn with a rebate from newegg.

That's absolutely not true at all. It MIGHT be true, if the unit was at least mediocre quality, but it's not. So the results could be anything from fish out of water to it works to smokefest.

But, it's definitely worth a try changing to the integrated graphics just to see if the system WILL give a display without the demands of the discreet graphics card. You will want to completely remove the graphics card from the motherboard before attempting to power on the system with the display cable attached to the motherboard video output though.

Dec 11, 2019
It does boot via integrated graphics. Didn’t think I’d have to take out the gpu though. I’ll be careful on that one. So, what I’m hearing is new psu. Is the evga 600w psu model mentioned previously something that you would recommend?

There are no reputable reviews of any EVGA GD series unit, so as of right now they are an unknown. To me, that says they are to be avoided because EVGA has a lot more CRAP units than they do good ones. Even the latest in the G2, G3 lineup, with the EVGA G5, pretty much sucks. It is outsourced to a third rate manufacturer and it shows in the final product. It's an attempt to ride the name they built for themselves using Super Flower platforms without having to pay for Super Flower's better platforms.

Personally, without seeing a reputable review of that unit showing it is quiet, has good performance and is reliable, it would be a big fat NO in my book. Buying a power supply that has no professional reviews is like going to a hospital and picking somebody in a white coat at random to do your heart surgery. It makes no sense at all and you would never do it. Should be the same thing here.

The Corsair CX unit I linked to above, which is a gray label CX 2017 model, not an older green label unit, is the best unit you are going to find anywhere near that price range. If you want a power supply that is even moderately better than that, you wil need to pay around 20 dollars more. Anything that is LOWER quality than that, should be avoided for use in any gaming system.